walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Eighe Scrambles - In Victorian Footsteps

Beinn Eighe Scrambles - In Victorian Footsteps

by jmarkb » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Munros included on this walk: Spidean Coire nan Clach (Beinn Eighe)

Date walked: 18/10/2019

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1200m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Beinn Eighe Scrambles - In Victorian Footsteps

Postby gaffr » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:44 pm

There were three Hopkinsons who were Mountain folks. Did all three perish on the same route?
If so a very tragic event.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby past my sell by date » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:54 pm

gaffr wrote:There were three Hopkinsons who were Mountain folks. Did all three perish on the same route?
If so a very tragic event.

Father daughter and two sons i think - found roped together at the foot of the mountain - that sadly was the era of one off all off :( :( :( The traverse is a great route - diff - vdiff but very exposed, but the walk up to it is steep and seems endless :lol: :lol: . There were other Hopkinsons who were related. Hopkinson's gully on Scafell pinnacle is MVS with a fierce start: the initial ascent was in winter conditions - which might paradoxically have made it easier. There's another classic Hopkinson's crack on DOW - which I've never done
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Colin1951 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:17 pm

That looks like a great way in! It’s always nice to find a road that no-one else seems to know about. I might be trying this next time I’m up there. Thanks for the idea!
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:11 pm

I somehow missed this report the first time round jmarkb, it is a cracker of a route and the photos and write up are brilliant, looking forward to giving it a go at some point, cheers! :clap:
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby jmarkb » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:29 pm

Colin1951 wrote:That looks like a great way in! It’s always nice to find a road that no-one else seems to know about. I might be trying this next time I’m up there. Thanks for the idea!

Chris Mac wrote:I somehow missed this report the first time round jmarkb, it is a cracker of a route and the photos and write up are brilliant, looking forward to giving it a go at some point, cheers!

Thanks very much, glad you enjoyed it/found it useful!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

25 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland