walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawyers in the clag

Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawyers in the clag

Postby annaguy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:48 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 03/11/2019

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 942m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Today the weather forecast was not the greatest so I decided to go for a shorter solo hike up Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawyers. The path was clear and well maintained. I got some amazing views before walking into the cloud.

DSC02281.JPG

DSC02282.JPG

DSC02286.JPG

The way up Beinn Ghlas was covered by mist.

DSC02292.JPG

The summit was marked by a small cairn and as it was cold, windy and no views I didn't hang around there for too long.

DSC02297.JPG

After the summit of Beinn Ghlas the clear path continued on the ridge which felt like walking on top of the cloud with just a path emerging from a white fluffy mist.

DSC02302.JPG

After descending to a bealach where a small half frozen lochen marked the lowest point, the rocky path started climbing again.

DSC02316.JPG

The short reasonably steep ascent soon revealed two cairns marking the top of Ben Lawyers.

DSC02309.JPG

DSC02311.JPG

There is something magical and eerie about the mist that makes me feel like there path does never end.

DSC02309.JPG

After lunch and and coffee and a few shots of the mist, I started descending back the same route back. At the bealach I took the path to the right descending on the side of the hill.

DSC02318.JPG

DSC02324.JPG

I saw the end of the faint rainbow but the sheep got the before me and stole the pot of gold.

DSC02329.JPG

When the walk was almost finished I saw very dark clouds coming, I was very fortunate that the weather played the ball for me so far.

DSC02328.JPG

I had a great time hiking another two Munros now its time for a long drive back to Inverness.
annaguy
Mountain Walker

Munros:117   Corbetts:5
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawyers in the clag

Postby Grisu » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:14 pm

Thanks for the report, enjoyed reading and the scenic pictures with the mist - makes it almost atmospheric in a very special way!
Grisu
Walker

Munros:58   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawyers in the clag

Postby annaguy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:31 pm

Grisu wrote:Thanks for the report, enjoyed reading and the scenic pictures with the mist - makes it almost atmospheric in a very special way!

Thank you Grisu for your reply. It is my first walk report so I was a bit worried if its good enough. Take care. Anna
annaguy
Mountain Walker

Munros:117   Corbetts:5
Grahams:4   
Sub 2000:2   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland