walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First snows of winter on Cruachan

First snows of winter on Cruachan

Postby dogplodder » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Stob Daimh

Date walked: 30/10/2019

Distance: 11 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I ate far too much for breakfast (as you do when you're in a B & B) then we drove to Dalmally, stopping at the Green Welly to pick up a sandwich....and never have I felt less in the need of a sandwich - even if it was for later!

We were first at the parking spot at junction of the A85 and B8077 so Ruth had a choice where exactly in that spot to place her car. The gate across the road was open so off we went along the track, looking for the heilan coos I saw the last time I was here to climb Beinn a' Chochuill and Beinn Eunach back in 2011, but they were not to be seen.

On track with Beinn a' Chochuill and Beinn Eunach filling the landscape
IMG_8638.JPG

Ridge we planned to walk up straight ahead
IMG_8639.JPG

Dalmally Horseshoe with a little cloud on top
IMG_8640.JPG

It was Black Panther who put the idea of this walk into my mind, aided and abetted by tweedledog who had offered an apres hill cuppa at his place so we could meet the venerable whippet. I'd decided if it was clear we'd do what's known as the Dalmally Horseshoe the way BP did it, going up the NE ridge and down the SE ridge (missing out the Corbett which BP did).

In the absence of a WH description I found a description of the route the way I wanted to do it on another walking site and printed that out. It said to follow the landrover track towards the mouth of Coire Chreachainn, as far as the bend where it climbs left beside boulders and at that point to leave the track to find a hidden bridge.

In search of a bridge
IMG_8641.JPG

So when we reached a bend beside boulders (although that wasn't definitive as there were so many boulders strewn around) we left the track and followed a faint path in the direction of the river. River duly reached there was no sign of a bridge so we continued upstream until we reached a pipe crossing. I vaguely remembered BP had included a photo of the bridge and it was a proper bridge, not a pipe crossing, and on the other side there was no sign of any path heading up the ridge. This clearly wasn't it.

Not a bridge
IMG_8642.JPG

Close to the pipe crossing there was a track coming down from the original track so we decided to abandon our search for the bridge and head up by the SE ridge instead.

Rather than waste any more time we returned to track
IMG_8643.JPG

Tops now clear
IMG_8644c.JPG

The track led over a bridge (not the one we didn't find) and we looked out for a suitable point to leave it to reach the SE ridge. We could see what may have been an animal track traversing the side of the ridge (albeit in the wrong direction) so climbed up to investigate but as we gained height it made more sense to cut the corner and go straight up. It was steep but easy enough and not too long before we were on the ridge and could see a couple of walkers on the way up ahead of us. They must have parked after us but had made better time without the detour we had searching for the hidden bridge.

Short cut to SE ridge
IMG_8646c.JPG

View other way
IMG_8650c.JPG

Nice ridge once on it
IMG_8652c.JPG

Beinn Eunaich over NE ridge (our planned ascent route)
IMG_8654c.JPG

Around the time we crossed the snow line we sat down to don microspikes, which were helpful and meant no slips. The only snag with them is the build up of snow underneath, like wearing platform soles, which has to be regularly banged off. But for the extra stability they give I'd not be without them.

IMG_8655.JPG

Zoomed to Loch Awe in the gap
IMG_8656.JPG

Munro top Stob Garbh, Stob Daimh, then top Sron nan Isean
IMG_8657c.JPG

Pockets of snow were more than knee-deep
IMG_8659c.JPG

Other parts were wind-scoured
IMG_8660c.JPG

Our objective Stob Daimh
IMG_8662c.JPG

Cruachan reservoir
IMG_8663c.JPG

The wind had strengthened and we could see dark cloud moving in from the north. I wondered if we'd have any views from the top but we made it in time and were in the clear.

Stob Daimh summit (998m)
IMG_8665c.JPG

Ruth
IMG_8666c.JPG

SW to Loch Awe
IMG_8668.JPG

West to Ben Cruachan
IMG_8664c.JPG

Sron nan Isean and NE ridge
IMG_8667c.JPG

SE to Dalmally
IMG_8670c.JPG

South to Stob Garbh
IMG_8669c.JPG

SW to Beinn a' Bhuiridh and Loch Awe
IMG_8675.JPG

Loch Awe with Paps of Jura visible on horizon to the right
IMG_8677c.JPG

One option was to continue over Sron nan Isean and descend by the NE ridge but the dark cloud in that direction wasn't inviting. It was cold and we needed to find some shelter from the wind to eat our Green Welly sandwich so the more sensible option was to retrace our steps. The top part of the SE ridge was steep and snow-covered but at least we'd been up it and could follow our tracks down. So after chatting to a guy doing the more usual Cruachan round we dropped down to find a sheltered spot for lunch.

Handy rocks to sit on and sheltered too
IMG_8679c.JPG

Ben Cruachan from lunch spot
IMG_8676c.JPG

Stob Daimh
IMG_8678c.JPG

Start of the descent
IMG_8680c.JPG

Back down the ridge we came up and steeper than it looks
IMG_8681c.JPG

In a few places indulged in a gentle glissade
IMG_8682c.JPG

Dalmally in the sun
IMG_8683c.JPG

Zoomed to Ben Lui and Beinn a' Chleibh
IMG_8684c.JPG

We eventually came across the traversing deer track we'd seen earlier and followed it down until it fizzled out, from where it was a short yomp over rough ground to the vehicle track. At that point I had that feeling we were home and dry... but we both found it a longer walk from there back to the car than it had felt in the morning.

Pink cloud above where we walked
IMG_8686c.JPG

We'd had a great walk in the snow and had topped our target hill - but the icing on the cake was still to come. When Andy (tweedledog) picked up we were planning this walk he had suggested we call in for a post hill cuppa and more importantly to meet 'The Whippet' who has featured in a number of reports I had commented on. So once we were debooted we made our way towards our rendezvous with Andy and Azul and were treated to a very welcome mug of coffee and very good lemon drizzle cake."This is not just lemon drizzle cake this is M & S lemon drizzle cake" and 14 year old Azul had eyes for nothing else!

Azul with eyes firmly on cake
IMG_8687.JPG

Thank you Andy for the hospitality and gift of your recently published novel "The Zeno Effect" - set in 2029 when the United Kingdom is no longer united - and which I'm looking forward to getting into. Don't know yet what the connection is with Buachaille Etive Mor, but it's good to see it on the front cover!

Not sure if I'm allowed to do this but here's a gratuitous plug.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zeno-Effect-Andrew-Tudor/dp/1789017319

After seeing no deer all day and not hearing any bellowing (which you expect to hear in October) I'd concluded it wasn't a red deer area but Andy confirmed that it is. He said the bellowing had stopped four days earlier. When not outbellowing each other in the rut a bachelor herd normally hangs out in a field near Castles Farm and as we left Andy's a stag crossed the road in front of us. They must have some serious catching up to do as they have no time during the rut to eat and perhaps with the early autumn they were exhausted and hungry and couldn't quite make it to the end of the month!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: First snows of winter on Cruachan

Postby dllow » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:15 pm

Very helpful route description
dllow

Postby tweedledog » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Snow's all gone from the horseshoe now Kathleen, apart from some tiny streaks in the gullies. And The Whippet has polished off the lemon drizzle cake.

Thanks very much for plugging the novel, gratuitous or otherwise. Not entirely gratuitous on this site however, since much of the last third of the book takes place up and down the West Highlands. Hence the cover.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:27 pm

What a lovely report: always good to see the snows returning for the winter, even if they are not lasting yet.

dogplodder wrote:Don't know yet what the connection is with Buachaille Etive Mor, but it's good to see it on the front cover!

This is total pedantry, but it's actually Sron na Creise, not BEM! The book does look interesting, though, so consider the plug successful....
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:02 pm

Autumn colours featuring nicely there :) . I haven't been onto the Cruachan hills in a long, long time - probably time to remedy that soon!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby tweedledog » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:18 pm

jmarkb wrote:This is total pedantry, but it's actually Sron na Creise, not BEM! The book does look interesting, though, so consider the plug successful....

That’s really interesting jmarkb. What happened was the cover designer asked me for suggestions and I made a rough design based around one of my own pictures of BEM. He came back with what you see (which is a much better version of my draft so I just thought of it as a variation on BEM) and I suspect this is really a bit of a composite and invention, perhaps for copyright reasons, utilising a number of source images including Sron na Creise. Not to mention the congress of ravens, if that’s what they are. Ah, fiction! My geography in the book is rather more accurate, however, and I hope you enjoy it if you do give it a go.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:01 am

dllow wrote:Very helpful route description

If it helps someone else not to waste time looking for the phantom bridge I would consider it's been worth it. :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 am

tweedledog wrote:Snow's all gone from the horseshoe now Kathleen, apart from some tiny streaks in the gullies. And The Whippet has polished off the lemon drizzle cake.

Given his liking for cake how do you keep him so slim? :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:12 am

jmarkb wrote:What a lovely report: always good to see the snows returning for the winter, even if they are not lasting yet.

dogplodder wrote:Don't know yet what the connection is with Buachaille Etive Mor, but it's good to see it on the front cover!

This is total pedantry, but it's actually Sron na Creise, not BEM! The book does look interesting, though, so consider the plug successful....

I'm actually quite pleased to hear this as when I first saw the book I asked what hill it was and felt a bit daft when told it was BEM, which I thought I'd have recognised. But can understand the confusion if it was a photo of BEM Andy had given the cover designer. Artistic licence and all that. 8)
dogplodder

Postby jmarkb » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:14 am

tweedledog wrote:I suspect this is really a bit of a composite and invention, perhaps for copyright reasons, utilising a number of source images including Sron na Creise.

dogplodder wrote: But can understand the confusion if it was a photo of BEM Andy had given the cover designer. Artistic licence and all that.

I suspect that the designer has used a stock image to avoid any rights issues, which is either mislabelled (like this one https://www.canstockphoto.com/buachaille-etive-mor-alongside-the-river-58791793.html) or it's a crop from a wide angle shot that does include the Buachaille (like this one https://fineartamerica.com/featured/buachaille-etive-mor-panorama-derek-beattie.html).
Anyhow, have ordered the book, looking forward to reading it!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby tweedledog » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:28 am

dogplodder wrote:Given his liking for cake how do you keep him so slim? :D

That's the way of whippets Kathleen. Mind you, he's a portly gentleman now compared to how he was in his youth. 18 months old here. Any idea where this is?
steep.jpg
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:33 am

Is that the Mountain Trail going up from Loch Maree?
dogplodder

Postby tweedledog » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:51 am

jmarkb wrote:I suspect that the designer has used a stock image to avoid any rights issues, which is either mislabelled (like this one https://www.canstockphoto.com/buachaille-etive-mor-alongside-the-river-58791793.html) or it's a crop from a wide angle shot that does include the Buachaille (like this one https://fineartamerica.com/featured/buachaille-etive-mor-panorama-derek-beattie.html).
Anyhow, have ordered the book, looking forward to reading it!

Yes, the mislabelled image theory sounds likely. The picture of BEM that I gave him was in snow and I guess he wanted to make an altogether darker image. As you'll see when you get the book the image has been heavily "painted" in the design software; it's not photographic realism by any stretch. But still, I should have recognised Sron na Creise - I've seen it often enough - so thanks for identifying it. Let me know how you find the book; maybe not if you hate it :wink:
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby tweedledog » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:53 am

dogplodder wrote:Is that the Mountain Trail going up from Loch Maree?

Certainly is. That sign has always amused me.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

tweedledog wrote:
dogplodder wrote:Is that the Mountain Trail going up from Loch Maree?

Certainly is. That sign has always amused me.

Perhaps because it's a tourist path where failure to warn of steepness could be blamed if someone got into difficulty. It made me smile too. :D
dogplodder

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland