walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumn on the edge of Knoydart

Autumn on the edge of Knoydart

Postby malky_c » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:25 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Eugallt

Fionas included on this walk: Meall nan Eun

Date walked: 19/10/2019

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 1350m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Sgurr nan Eugallt
Grahams: Meall nan Eun
Date: 19/10/2019.
Distance: 18 km.
Ascent: 1350m.
Time: 7 hours, 55 minutes.
Weather: Dappled sunshine and a cold breeze.

Laziness has definitely taken over on the hills of late - I can't remember many times over the last year when I've bothered to make an early start to do something. Having not managed to come up with a satisfactory plan to do an overnighter in Knoydart, we decided to compromise and get up early for once to get a half-decent walk in.

We were on our way before 7am (not really that early, but at least 3 hours on any other recent trip!), we were ready to start walking at Coireshubh well before 9am. I had suggested Sgurr nan Eugallt as a good Knoydart gateway hill without too much of a walk-in, and as a bonus we would most likely add on Meall nan Eun, which has even better views. I had done a similar route about 2.5 years ago, but this time I had found a shortcut back to Kinloch Hourn that would cut off some distance and ascent without missing out on too much scenery.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Above Coireshubh

Shortly after leaving the car, we passed the suspected occupant of the campervan at Coireshubh, who turned out to be the elusive MGMT 8) . A quick chat and we carried on up the hill, using the good stalkers path as far as we could.

Buidhe Bheinn

Gairich

The surrounding views just get better and better as you get higher, but it takes quite a time for any reasonable portion of Loch Hourn to come into sight.

The Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine

Saddle clear of clag

Loch Quoich and Gairich

Back down the ridge to Sgurr Dubh

Just below the summit ridge we were pretty warm, but as soon as we passed the trig point and traversed west to the top, a cold breeze hit us. It wasn't that strong but it seemed to go in multiple directions and we struggled to find a sheltered spot out of it. Well worth it for the view west across Meall nan Eun to Ladhar Bheinn though :D .

Ladhar Bheinn and Meall nan Eun

Loch Quoich

Loch Hourn from Sgurr nan Eugallt

Beinn Sgritheall

We dropped down the rough west ridge of Sgurr nan Eugallt, which I had been cautious to describe as 'easy' to Jackie. It was ok really - the most tedious bit high up where greasy boulders and scree needed to be crossed. One of the consequences of Jackie's quest for her intercostal muscle to heal up properly is walking slightly stiffly, which aggravates an old knee injury. The worst thing for this is rough, uneven ground - something I keep working into my route choices somehow :lol: .

Ladhar Bheinn

Glen Barrisdale

An Caisteal and Meall nan Eun

Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine

Back to Sgurr nan Eugallt

We took the descent slowly and it was fine; also we were much warmer by the time we reached the col. Getting up Meall nan Eun from here is easy work, although there are a couple of bumps to go over before the main summit. I insisted on going out to the western cairn as the views from here are best.

Across Loch Hourn to Kintail

Summit of Meall nan Eun

Loch Hourn and Skye form Meall nan Eun

Ladhar Bheinn

Sgurr a' Choire-beithe and Luinne Bheinn

Ladhar Bheinn

After a break we headed back towards Sgurr nan Eugallt, contouring over the northern slopes this time to pass along the shores of Lochan an Meall nan Eun. We were aiming for the 575m point which would drop us onto the ridge to the NW of Coire Sgiath Airigh. The going was definitely a bit off-piste, but no worse than what we'd come over, and certainly not rating too severely on the 'rubbish ground' scale.

Lochan an Meall nan Eun and Sgurr nan Eugallt

Loch Hourn and Druim Fada

The descent got steeper and wetter as we dropped below the lip of the corrie, but remained relatively reasonable until around 150m above the path, where the heather took over and tussocks were rife. A couple of animal tracks made this easier, but it was definitely the roughest part of the walk. Still way better than I had anticipated - my dad had told of dropping off Sgurr nan Eugallt to Loch Hourn and fighting through a jungle somewhere nearby.

Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine

Saddle across the loch

Druim Fada

Sgurr na Sgine

We picked up the Kinloch Hourn path on the last bump to the west of Skiary, cutting out almost all of the re-ascent on it. It did mean that we didn't walk on some of the most scenic bits, but everything round here is good, so we didn't mind. We were caught in a light rain shower as we approached the road head, but it didn't amount to much. All of the worst weather had been further east this week - we could see it over the Affric hills today and we'd driven into it returning from Kinlochewe the previous evening. As it turned out we had been very lucky with the weather. 6 days out 9 on the hills of the NW, and all without rain or clag for the most part, not to mention plenty of that lovely autumnal sunshine.

Skiary and Buidhe Bheinn

Only idiots use these gates

Across the loch from Skiary

Loch Hourn

Allt Coire Mhicrail

Heading back to Kinloch Hourn

End of Druim Fada

Almost there...

Head of the loch

Short jungly bit

Sgurr a' Mhaoraich behind

All that remained was a rather sharp ascent on the Kinloch Hourn road to get us back to the car. This wasn't entirely welcome, but didn't take too long, and confirmed my thoughts that doing a few days in Knoydart would have killed Jackie off :wink:

Lochourn River - forgot about the last bit of ascent....

Back at the car (and a reasonable way back up the road) before dark, concluding a brilliant holiday - and we just about had the energy to cycle to the Dores Inn for lunch the next day!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland