walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Blue Mountain in blue sky

The Blue Mountain in blue sky

Postby Grisu » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:24 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 11/10/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 925m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After our great walk over the CMD to Ben Nevis we had a lovely day out on the bikes from Ballaculish to Fort Williams and further up to Glenfinnan, then back over the peninsula Ardnamurchan and now we were thinking about the next day. The weatherforecast was still terrific so I thought: Why not Skye? Not the Cuillins, but may be that single Munro, what's the name? :think:

We were calculating time and distance. It looked a bit tight considering the short daytime. If we had no traffic jam we should be fine. How long would the walk be, how much time would we need? What does the SMC and WH say? My friend didn't seem to be really convinced. This was always unsettling me but I didn't want to follow his doubts and somehow I felt responsible for this walk now, so I did my homework. And the next morning we went to Fort William for some shopping and finally hit the road on this lovely morning. No trouble with the traffic and terrific views on our drive - what a difference to our Skye-Trip in Summer!
DSC02119php690.jpg
Lovely drive on a beautiful morning

DSC02130php690.jpg
First sight of the Cuillins

DSC02139php690.jpg
There it is! What a beauty!

Only one place was left when we arrived at the car park, good enough. We had some food and finally set off exactly at 12 pm. 6 hours until dawn, that should do. Despite the full parking we met only few walkers but saw some cliffhangers :wink:

I remember I enjoyed the walk over the moor and the climb up Coire Uaigneich very much.
DSC02142php690.jpg
A steady walk along this very good path until the crossing of the river

DSC02143php690.jpg
View back over Loch Slapin to Torrin and the Kylerhea Hills in the background (?)

DSC02159php690.jpg
more views from further up

DSC02160php690.jpg
Loch Fionna-Choire

The scree was a bit tricky and took some time because it was very very loose. Two, three little steps forward and a slide back, we managed eventually.
DSC02155php690.jpg

Then I remember the big boulders and the terrific scenery through the cliffs.
DSC02165php690.jpg
Happy David

DSC02167php690.jpg

DSC02207php690.jpg

A final scramble and we had the summit all on our own.
DSC02193php690.jpg

DSC02183php690.jpg

Contemplation time!
DSC02169php690.jpg

DSC02192php690.jpg

DSC02196php690.jpg

DSC02197php690.jpg

DSC02198php690.jpg

We took our time and enjoyed the views. When we finally started the descend we both didn't feel the need to rush. Short before 6 pm we were back at the car.
DSC02199php690.jpg

DSC02213php690.jpg

What remains for me of the walk are the wonderful views on this sunny summer day in Octobre and that you have said in earnest that you never would have been able to plan such a trip. I was wondering and took it as a compliment. Finally you said you would give this walk an eight or even a nine if it hadn't been for the long drive back in the dark. I tried to cheer you up and entertain you but without success.
And you were right, it took me quite some time to score them all, I still don't know the rules :shock: - howsoever, I have managed, eventually. As for me it was a perfect day out so I give it a 10.
And despite some painful memories it was a pleasure to go over all walks again and to remember the confusion, the trouble and the fun we had - Now I say good-bye and wish you all the best!
DSC02203php690.jpg
Quoth the raven: Nevermore

P.S: I quite like Ravens, their beauty, pride and intelligence, but this one obviously was not a good Omen neither. But who knows? A new chapter will be opened.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: The Blue Mountain in blue sky

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 pm

Stunning scenery!

I am off to Skye for a week next May, and I must admit I was thinking of Bla Bheinn for one of the worse weather days, as it is safer than most of the Black Cuillin.

However seeing these photos, I realise I will definitely have to climb it on a good day. Those views are too good to miss.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Sgurr » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Agree that Blaven is for a good day. You certainly made the best of this particular good day Grisu. I found myself crawling up part of the scree when we did it. It is worth remembering that a really experienced Skye guide broke his leg at the summit of Blaven by stepping back when gesturing to a group of walkers. Hope the raven will be a better omen than you think.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Great report and photos of a great hill. i've done it twice - once by the Clach Glas traverse and once up the S ridge from near Camasunary. I guess I must have come down to the car park both times - but there wasn't the nice path in those days.
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:50 pm

Sgurr wrote:Agree that Blaven is for a good day. You certainly made the best of this particular good day Grisu. I found myself crawling up part of the scree when we did it. It is worth remembering that a really experienced Skye guide broke his leg at the summit of Blaven by stepping back when gesturing to a group of walkers. Hope the raven will be a better omen than you think.

The raven is a good omen I think.
IMG_3448.JPG

Note of bathos, actually mine might be a crow
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Grisu » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:05 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Stunning scenery!

I am off to Skye for a week next May, and I must admit I was thinking of Bla Bheinn for one of the worse weather days, as it is safer than most of the Black Cuillin.

However seeing these photos, I realise I will definitely have to climb it on a good day. Those views are too good to miss.

Tim

Yes, Tim it's really worth to do this mountain on a good day! I wish you good luck for may :thumbup: and looking forward for your report :D

Sgurr wrote:Agree that Blaven is for a good day. You certainly made the best of this particular good day Grisu. I found myself crawling up part of the scree when we did it. It is worth remembering that a really experienced Skye guide broke his leg at the summit of Blaven by stepping back when gesturing to a group of walkers. Hope the raven will be a better omen than you think.

We had been so lucky the whole week, really exceptionell weather the whole time. I think the Raven will be fine, thanks for caring :D

past my sell by date wrote:Great report and photos of a great hill. i've done it twice - once by the Clach Glas traverse and once up the S ridge from near Camasunary. I guess I must have come down to the car park both times - but there wasn't the nice path in those days.

We were thinking about the ridge for the walk back, must be great with the view to the sea while descending, but it would have taken us too much time, I guess. Thanks!
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby Verylatestarter » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:03 pm

I always regard ravens as good omens, they seem to occupy the summits of the best hills. Hughley intelligent birds with character, they look you in the eye and demand food as tribute.

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland