walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben More Assynt Good Friday

Ben More Assynt Good Friday

Postby Alastair S » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:22 pm

Route description: Ben More Assynt and Conival

Munros included on this walk: Ben More Assynt, Conival

Date walked: 10/04/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1265m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

benmoreassynt.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sorry, nae photos. Flickr has been sold (again) and now will only host 1000 photos for free accounts so I've had to delete a load of old photos. I don't suppose these old walk reports get much traffic anyway.

Back to 2009 again and my Easter holiday in Lochinver. Having done Suilven on the Monday I was ready to tackle the Assynt’s only two Munros. Got the family up early as the forecast was for increasing cloud in the afternoon. So while the family went back to the beach at Achmelvich after dropping me off at Inchnadamph I set off up Gleann Dubh. Weather was good with lots of high fluffy cloud and not much wind in the valley.

These two hills don’t have that much presence as the Assynt’s & Inverpolly’s other hills as even on a clear day you can’t see them from the main roads. It isn’t till you go a couple of km up Gleann Dubh that Conival looms into view. After about 4km the path steeps and deteriorates (lots of erosion) as you climb beside the Allt a’ Choinne’ Mhill. As you get up the bealach it becomes clear that there is a definite lip that needs to be clambered up to reach the true bealach.

After the brief respite of the bealach its back to the steep stuff as you make your way south-east. This section is also very rocky and I soon lost the path (there is a faint one there as I found it on the way back). After about half a k the going gets easy as the ridge path is reached. The view all about are now superb and Ben More Assnyt now comes into view. It doesn’t take long to reach the day’s first goal. A brief stop for some sustenance in the decent stone shelter & then on to BMA.

It doesn’t take long. The views continue to be superb but I could see the cloud gathering to the SW. If (or when) I were doing this again I’d at least make my way to the 960m top on the south ridge. As it was after many photos I made my way back the way I’d come. Being Good Friday there were quite a few folk about. On the way up there were a small group in front (that I never caught) but meet lots as I made my way back. The lowering cloud and increasing wind made for some quite dramatic views and when the cloud touched down I even shot a bit of shaky video – which in a first for me I now include :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bg2F3ccrf-M&feature=feedlik[/youtube]

By the time I got back to Conival (with a group of smoking walkers in the shelter!) the cloud was set. I didn’t clear the clag till I was down to around 600m. But I’d had the best of the day so I didn’t mind at all. It was also my first double-header.

edit: hopefully title makes more sense now!
Last edited by Alastair S on Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Ben More Assynt Good Easter

Postby Stretch » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:15 pm

You continue to amaze Alastair, very nice look back at an older walk. Wicked video of the clouds!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Merry-walker » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:21 pm

Very nice one Alastair :D :thumbup: :thumbup:
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby malky_c » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:50 pm

Nice shots 8)
This is high on the to do repeat list - might possibly do an alternative route from Benmore Lodge to the south though...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alastair S » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks all :D

malky_c wrote:might possibly do an alternative route from Benmore Lodge to the south though...

Looks good but its a long way. But also looks like you could MTB a fair way.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland