walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn a'Chearcaill, chilly Torridon graham

Beinn a'Chearcaill, chilly Torridon graham

Postby gld73 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Route description: Beinn a' Chearcaill, from Loch Maree

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn a' Chearcaill

Date walked: 10/11/2019

Time taken: 3.9 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 700m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Nice clear, cold day, turned out to be perfect for doing Beinn a'Chearcaill as it wouldn't be a good one to navigate in the cloud. Followed the WH route - path started beside the cottage, so followed that to the wee cairn where I branched right and headed up the coire to where the path ended. After that there was no clear path, it was nice to pass both the small lochans mentioned in the walk description so I knew I was about right. From there to the summit plateau it was a wide area, no set route. Pretty much no snow but everything iced up, so good that the bogs were frozen but bad for trying to keep my feet in some spots.
APDC6403.JPG
View back north to Slioch

Great views back over to Slioch most of the way on this walk, then over to the other Torridon mountains around. Summit plateau is an odd one, like a massive flat slab of rock, with the cairn on the west. Put on an extra jacket as it was pretty chilly up there, but the winds weren't strong.
APDC6405.JPG
Summit cairn and Beinn an Eoin to the west

APDC6410.JPG
Sail Mhor and Liathach

APDC6406.JPG
Beinn Dearg and Beinn Alligin

APDC6408.JPG
Summit selfie with Slioch taking centre stage behind :)

Headed back more or less the same way, massively glad it was a clear day and I could orientate myself by the surrounding mountains, only got the map and compass out once and that was more of a check of the route I was doing. Relieved when the 2 lochans came into view and confirmed I was where I was aiming for.

1 couple also doing this walk today, passed them on my walk in and then as they were heading up when I was returning, I agreed with their comment that it's sometimes nice to have someone else on the mountain, especially when it's rocky and icy.

Not a long walk, done in 4 hrs, but really enjoyed it on a day like this, and finishing early meant no rush to get through Garve before the road closed overnight at 7pm for work.

Left car 1050, summit 1250, back at car 1442
Graham #22
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland