walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First solo-walk in the Lawers

First solo-walk in the Lawers

Postby Grisu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:54 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 08/07/2017

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 942m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This season I started walking on my own.
Looking for some advice for beginners I was happy to find Ralf Storer's Baffies' Easy Munro Guides and ordered Vol. 1,2,3 in the little bookshop at my hometown. :thumbup:
After some serious studies :think: I finally decided for Perthshire and booked a week in the Aberfeldy Weem Hotel. Although it is a bit rundown the friendly stuff and the unconventional dealing made it quite a comfortable stay. From here I easily could reach the places I have chosen for my walks and some cycling without having too long to drive.

For my very first solo I picked Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers, an area I already knew a little bit form the Tarmachan-walk last year in March. It seemed to be quite a straight forward walk on a clear path and surely other walkers would be around on a Sunday. So I felt quite safe even and therefore I could focused on my main task: testing my comprehension of the walk description and to find out whether I will be able to recognize the waymarks and the twists and turns of the path as described.
Therefore I tried to find my way by following the decription and I succeeded in taking the wrong turn right at the start although the gate I didn't miss at least. :lol:
DSC00088php690.jpg
The gate

DSC00089php690.jpg
I remember that I was trying to figure out something around this burn but can't reconstruct it anymore.

But there was at least always one walker I could keep an eye on and finally I managed to get to the path while trying to figure out what I have misunderstood :roll: .
DSC00091php690.jpg
Now on the path! Summits covered a bit in mist

When the views came in sight I finally stopped reading. It made no sense anyway as the path was clearly visible and so many walkers just ahead of me so I started to enjoy the walk and the views coming in sight with the rising terrain. :D
DSC00095php690.jpg

Despite the dark clouds the visibilty was quite good and became even better once the sky cleared off and the sun came out just in time when I reached the first summit.
DSC00099php690.jpg

DSC00101php690.jpg
The mist has evaporated - Summit in blue sky!

And what was this? The cairn was decorated with little devices and the path to Ben Lawers was marked with red flags and there were some guides at the summit I had a little chat with.
DSC00102php690.jpg
Summit cairn on Beinn Ghlas and sign indicating the check-point

DSC00107php690.jpg
little flags marking the parcours for the QUAD

It was Quadrathon-day! Swimming through Loch Tay, running over seven munros :crazy: , kajaking and finally cycling around the Loch. I was pretty much impressed. This year's winning team made it in 7.37hrs - congratulation! :clap: :clap: :clap:
DSC00104php690.jpg
View along the vally with part of the ridge of Meall Corranaich / Meall a' Coire Lèith

Seven munros in a day, - not to speak of the other disciplines - this was hardly imaginable but very fascinating. I was contemplating on that while I resumed my walk.
DSC00109php690.jpg
An Stuc and the rest of the club

The walk to the summit of Ben Lawers didn't take much time as far as I remember.
DSC00110php690.jpg
Summit-Selfie

DSC00112php690.jpg
Looking back

It was pretty windy that day so I was looking for some shelter where I could enjoy the views while having my little lunch in the warm sunshine.
DSC00119php690.jpg
Enjoying the views over Lochan nan Cat towards Loch Tay

DSC00121php690.jpg
a bit redundant, can't decide, same place now with An Stuc

Still some competitiors arrived at the summit and a little party coming over from An Stuc.
DSC00124php690.jpg
Summit Meeting

I had a little chat with someone who explained the scenery. It was a mystery how he could figure out all the different mountains and even name them :clap: - to me it all looked only very hilly, no chance to memorize any of these strange sounding names. :eh:
DSC00126php690.jpg
View towards the neighbouring ridge

Finally I started to descend, a bit unsure whether I will find the turn-off to the valley path although everything looked pretty simple. I think I was a bit too rattled by all the warnings the guides had been given during my first years with guided groups. But when I reached the little cairn there was no doubt which way to go.
DSC00127php690.jpg
Looking out for the valley path

DSC00128php690.jpg
turn-off to the valley route

During the walk through the valley I was on my own and slowed down to a leisurely pace in the pleasant warm afternoon sun.
DSC00129php690.jpg
Looking back along the valley

DSC00132php690.jpg
The neighbour

I got attracted by the shape of the corrie/ridge in the distance and was wandering if this was part of the Meall nan Tarmachan. I only can guess because I never have seen the summit on my walk.
About the old shieldings I met some guys from Glasgow and we chatted along the way until we reached the parking.
DSC00135php690.jpg
fascinated by the view of the corrie

Although this walk was nothing really much of a challenge on a day like this with this clear visible path I was quite happy for this nice introduction into my solo career :wink:
Back at the car the runners were coming down either from Tarmachan or Meall Corranaich, greeted by some audience and supplied with water and some nutrition to keep going for the cycling. :thumbup:
I changed some clothes, thanked for this lovely day and said goodbye to the mountain.
DSC00139php690.jpg
Looking back to the Mountain.
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Re: First solo-walk in the Lawers

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:25 pm

Love the photos, especially "Enjoying the views over Lochan nan Cat towards Loch Tay", and the wide panorama of the western skyline of peaks.

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: First solo-walk in the Lawers

Postby Grisu » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Thanks Tim! :D
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland