walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blair Atholl cicuit via Loch Moraig and Shinagag

Blair Atholl cicuit via Loch Moraig and Shinagag

Postby thedonalds » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm

Date walked: 25/07/2009

Distance: 21 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My days of climbing big hills started to fade a while ago but I have persevered with lower level walks and thought it might be a good idea to start posting some of these in the hope that other like minded folk might like to try them. This is Blair Atholl to Blair Atholl via Loch Moraig, Shinagag and Aldclune. This comes with a health warning as the date given is irrelevant as its been at least 10 years since I last done this one, which explains the lack of photos, so who knows what's changed but my description wont be far out. This is a lovely walk for a warm Perthshire summer day..........

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Park somewhere convenient in Blair Atholl village then cross the bridge over the River Tilt and head for Old Bridge of Tilt then take the right fork up towards Loch Moraig. Its a wee bit of climb up the road but Loch Moraig is a fine spot to rest. Its then east on the track towards Shinagag along which you will no doubt find all those folk who are heading up Carn Liath to bag yet another Munro. After about 3.5km take the right fork (SSE) towards Shinagag then about 200-300m before the farm right fork again roughly south(ish) towards the ruin of Reinakyllich - a fine lunch spot.
From there pick up the track on the other side of the enclosure heading west(ish) back towards the A9. For those who feel the need to climb something at this point you could head up the sub-2000 Meall Garbh. The track leads to what was the abandoned farmstead of Loinmarstaig but by now could well be someone's 5-star Highland retreat.
From there its down the track to Alt Girnaig and over the footbridge to pick up the forest track heading down Glen Girnaig, which connects to the tarmac road near Orchilmore and then its downhill and under the A9 past the Battle of Killiecrankie site to the B8079 (old A9). Head along that for about 1km and there's a track heading across the railway then follow your nose along the north bank of the River Garry heading for Blair Atholl, skirting around the edge of the golf course and back to the village via the clubhouse road and have yourself a small libation in the Atholl Arms......
thedonalds
Walker

Munros:22   Corbetts:7
Fionas:22   Donalds:87+48
Sub 2000:24   
Islands:26

Re: Blair Atholl cicuit via Loch Moraig and Shinagag

Postby gaffr » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:47 pm

I came back over some of the ground of your walk when returning from Ben Vuirich and on another occasion when returning from the beinn a Ghlo hills I dropped down into this area. Also nearby is the track leading up to the remote group of buildings that make up the Fealar Lodge...a place that I have only reached by a path leading into it from close to the Tarf bridge.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland