walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 x Meall's for 2 please

2 x Meall's for 2 please

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 15/11/2019

Time taken: 4.1 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 775m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was another short notice outing utilising what looked like a good weather window. Parminder was unavailable, so my plan was to visit a couple of the Lawers group that Parminder has already bagged. My last attempt at these two didn't exactly go to plan, it was just over 2 years ago when I was heading down the straight into Lochearnhead, when a couple of deer decided to cross the road without looking. I manage to avoid one, but the other rearranged the front of my car in rather a bad way resulting in my car being off the road for a month. So it was time to try again, I was planning to drive but as George has a fancy 4 wheel drive machine he offered. The last time I was on the single track road up to Lawers was for Tomsie's compleation and that must be about 4 years ago. First thing I noticed was the lack of forest on either side of the road before the cattle grid. Another thing, I still can't get used to the Lawers car park being on the left.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We just about managed to follow the WH route clockwise

We left George's at 7am and were walking just before 9am, there was a bit of ice on the single track road and snow higher up where we were parking.

Nice new sign

Not sure of the significance of the huge cairn?

George almost ready, note the snow on the road

Looking down on the lochan we are all familiar with - Lochan na Lairige

Very patchy snow initially

It was difficult trying to follow the path

The first part of the walk round Meall nan Eun to Coire Gorm is over rough boggy ground and not what you would describe as fun, once across Coire Gorm the ground started to firm up and the snow was no longer patchy. We decided to try our usual approach and head directly for the summit. Luckily there were a few footprints in the snow possibly from last weekend, so we were able to utilise them to guestimate how deep the snow would be when you plonked your boot down.

Our first target

A few stalactites

A few more

George posing in front of the round lump Meall a'Choire Leith

Frozen puddle

Footprints going up to follow - thank you to whoever was the good samaritan

George just loves the ascents

Another pause to pose

Early look at the 2nd hill on the menu Corranaich

Taken on the rounded plateau looking towards Lawers with it's own cloud

The not very big cairn on Meall a'Choire Leith, this may bring a tear to George's eye - poles, more of that later

Video on the summit of Leith

Looking across to our next Meall and the broad ridge to get there

Descending off Leith was easy, the path goes off to the left but as usual we opted for the direct approach, once at the bottom the long gradual ascent then began. Once again there were footprints but there had been snow since they were made, ideally I tried to find ground that had the least amount of snow on but that was proving difficult.

We are going up the slight incline then swinging round to the right

Looking back to the round lump of Leith

We are turning right, looking at Lawers & Ghlas

George obviously not happy with my trail blazing

Summit still looks quite a bit of distance away

George now following in my steps

Plenty of white stuff on the rest of the range

A few more undulations before the summit, the sun makes the photo more dramatic

Looking back to Leith

Looking SW towards Tarmachan

Taken on the summit of Corranaich looking south, very windy and spindrift

Another small summit cairn, this time on Corranaich

Spindrift

A much shorter video on the summit of Corranaich, when you watch it you will understand why

Not sure what direction this is, shows how poor the visibility got

We didn't linger very long on the summit and no sooner had we descended about 5m to the west someone switched off the wind - it was completely non existent. The WH route takes you SW down the obvious shoulder, we didn't fancy that so we again opted for the direct descent. Had there been no snow it would probably have been a no go, it was fairly steep but we have descended much steeper. It was a rapid descent and the height was lost very quickly.

Descending now, George in his element

Looking back uphill, doesn't look very steep

What a difference it makes when you can see where you are heading

Still doesn't look steep

Looking west

Looking back uphill again

Nearing the lower slopes now

Looking north, snowline rather evident

Looking back

The lochan by the road again, water level very low

This turned out to be a fabulous day, a huge thanks to George for volunteering to drive and for being great company. One thing that made me smile was Naismith - the route above that I plotted would only take him 3hrs and 1 minute, we were really pleased with our time especially in wintery conditions.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 2 x Meall's for 2 please

Postby dibs » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm

Indeed a great day even with the loss of 2 poles at the car park. :crazy: 8)
dibs
Munro compleatist

Munros:187   Corbetts:32
Fionas:29   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:100   Hewitts:2
Islands:15

Re: 2 x Meall's for 2 please

Postby Grisu » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:06 pm

Enjoyed reading and reminding my of my walk this year but in summer conditions, it was pretty windy on Corranaich as well, nice pictures :clap:
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland