walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Badandun Hill

Badandun Hill

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:13 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill

Date walked: 19/11/2019

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12.4 km

Ascent: 553m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It's 5 months since I finished the C2C and this is my first outing since then.

Illness has meant that I have been confined to the house and a lack of exercise and the medication I'm on has meant that I've put on a stone and a half. This is one of the easiest hills around (which is why I chose it) and seemed like an obvious choice for my 1st walk. If I made it to the top great, if not, it would just be a great day to be out and get some exercise.

Wall to wall blue sky, no wind and the temperature was around freezing when I set off.

The initial climb away from the road isn't that steep but already I was puffing and my pace was slow but I just kept plodding along. I left the Cateran Trail behind and continued on the track towards Badandun. There is a lull in the climb before it starts a steeper pull up towards the top and by now the track is covered in frozen snow.

I was tired but probably feeling better than I expected so was OK to go to the top where I met a couple who were ahead of me on the track. Three people then arrived after me, never seen this hill so busy!

I stopped at the top for a few photos before heading back down the same track. On picking up the Cateran Trail I walked along it for about a mile (towards Loch Shandra) before turning back. Further down the track I took another left turn to head along to Auchintaple Loch for some photos in the low light looking over to Badandun.

Back at the car I was pleased with my efforts. A lot of work to do to be fit for next year but it was good to get out in the fine weather.

1.jpg
View from the top of Badandun Hill

2.jpg
Looking up Glen Isla
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland