walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Beag followed by Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Buachaille Etive Beag followed by Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Postby jimbell21 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:38 am

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 19/11/2019

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 17.11 km

Ascent: 1663m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tuesday 19th November 2019

Plenty of snow on the hills and a decent forecast sounded like a good combination to enjoy a day out in Glen Coe. In order to make the most of it, I planned to do Buachaille Etive Beag in the morning, have a quick lunch and then drive the whopping distance for an afternoon trip up Beinn a'Chrulaiste for a possible sunset.

Buachaille Etive Beag

I left the car at 9.15am and started fully wrapped up after freezing myself getting ready to go (it was minus 4). As usual, within 5 minutes walking at a decent pace I was absolutely melting and had to stop to take my layers off again. I had the mountain to myself and soon reached the snow line where the path turned to thick, clear ice. Negotiating my way up to the bealach, I turned left for Stob Coire Raineach and picked my way up the consolidated snow, ice and rocks to the summit, which I had to myself. The views were absolutely stunning, very atmospheric cloud conditions overhead, but all of the summits were clear of cloud, even the Ben for most of the time.

Stob Coire Raineach, looking beyond to the Mamores and Ben Nevis etc.

Looking south to Stob Dubh and Loch Etive beyond

You need at least one selfie per trip I suppose...

Some interesting clouds over the Etive hills

West towards the Bidean massif

Starting the climb up Stob Dubh

Faffing about with photos and videos until my hands were numb, I made for the bealach again. A couple of walkers were now coming up to the bealach as I started my way up Stob Dubh. It was great to get the crampons back on my feet again and it didn't take long to reach the summit ridge. The views along the ridge were breathtaking in all directions, and many more photo stops were required before reaching the summit. As always, it is well worth the extra two minutes to walk along to the south top for the views down Glen Etive. Just amazing!

Stunning views to the summit of Stob Dubh

Lunch stop at the south top

Me with Bidean in the background

Coffee spot at the summit. I must have sat here for at least half an hour :-)

After lingering about the summit for 45 minutes or so, I started to make my way down again so that I would have plenty of time for a 2nd lunch break in the car, and then plenty of time to get to Chrulaiste for pictures and sunsets. A couple of others joined me on the summit for a chat about how great a day we were all having, then I reluctantly pulled myself away from the tops and descended briskly back to the car. An all round topper of a hike in superb winter conditions.

Starting the descent back down the ridge. A definite no go without crampons!

Buachaille Etive Beag time - 4hrs 10 mins (you could knock an hour off that without taking 13,894 pictures and videos, so a great option for a quick day.

Beinn a'Chrulaiste

After a quick pit stop at the car, I set off up Beinn a'Chrulaiste just before 2pm. This allowed for plenty of time to take plenty bookle pictures, get to the summit, and see if a sunset happens... I've seen endless pictures from this hill, but this was my first venture up it, so I was excited to see the views. Despite the cloud, the views did not let me down at all...

Looking back towards my morning summits on Buachaille Etive Beag

Zoomed shot towards the Grey Corries, which were looking superbly snowy!

The view I came for - Buachaille Etive Mor

Panorama of the bookle and Glen Coe

Light shining on Creise and the ski centre

I reached the summit of Chrulaiste about 3.25pm, ready for a sunset which was now obvious that would not really materialise. Nevertheless I hung about for 20 minutes, took in the views and had some more coffeee!

Chrulaiste summit, looking over the Blackwater reservoir towards Ben Alder et al.

Mamores, Ben Nevis, Grey Corries.

Leaving the summit, I made a bee line straight down from the hill towards the wee "photographers plateau" at Stob Beinn a'Chrulaiste, took a couple last photos in some rapidly fading light, then made my back back to the car. An excellent wee day trip, and great to make the full use of the day.

Fading light at dusk

Beinn a'Chrulaiste time - 2hrs 45 mins (for reference, wipe off a good hour without the picture taking faff).

I'll be back soon I hope!
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:36
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:4
Islands:13

Re: Buachaille Etive Beag followed by Beinn a'Chrulaiste

Postby jimbell21 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:15 pm

A couple of videos from the day... a summit panorama from Stob Dubh and a short timelapse video from Chrulaiste.

https://youtu.be/dwYyvWk5qXQ

https://youtu.be/e9i3x3wurUA
jimbell21
Mountain Walker

Munros:205   Corbetts:36
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:4
Islands:13

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland