walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

In Pin..?The Cobbler ..? No, Mount Eagle...

In Pin..?The Cobbler ..? No, Mount Eagle...

Postby gld73 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:30 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mount Eagle

Date walked: 21/11/2019

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 170m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

There are some mountains where it's just the last few metres which are the infamous epic struggle to overcome to say you have truly reached the actual summit. (Or that the last few metres are disproportionately more challenging than the majority of the preceeding walk at least). Mount Eagle is such a summit.

Admittedly that's the only thing that even vaguely links Mount Eagle with the Inaccessible Pinnacle. In fact, despite it officially being a marilyn, you probably wouldn't even count it as a hill, let alone a mountain. I even parked a couple of miles down the road from what would be the logical start point, just to add a bit of extra ascent and distance to an easy walk.

My shift the day before had over-run considerably, so I didn't feel like getting up early to go far afield today. Decent weather though, so it was a case of finding somewhere nearby I could do in the afternoon and not be in a rush to get down before it was dark. The Black Isle is just a few minutes from home, and its grandly named high point of Mount Eagle was a sub-2000 still to be ticked off, so off I went after lunch.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rather than park right by the start of the track and the big Mount Eagle transmitter, I just stopped somewhere a bit before and parked off the side of the road, then walked along the single track minor roads to what would be the usual start point which has room for a few cars. From there it was a nice easy walk along the good forest track, then left up another, right, and then left again to another, smaller, transmitter compound. All very easy stuff, and the summit is just a few metres beyond.
APDC6477.JPG
Heading up the minor road towards the big Mount Eagle transmitting mast

APDC6491.JPG
What would be the normal start point - start of the forestry track by the mast

APDC6490.JPG
Most of the way is on a good forestry track, passed a couple of dog walkers early on

APDC6489.JPG
Getting nearer the top, still on good forestry tracks

APDC6488.JPG
On reaching this transmitter compound, it's time to leave the track and go the short distance to the summit

Unfortunately it's a few metres beyond, through dense small trees on uneven ground, and in thick gorse. For some reason, I had in my head that it wouldn't be too hard to find the trig point and my natural sense of direction would take me to it as I left the track and headed north-ish. With hindsight, I plunged optimistically into the trees about 30m too far east, and spent a good 20 minutes zig zagging around the dense vegetation to try and find anything resembling a high point. Eventually I resorted to getting my phone out to check OS Locate, something I usually only have to use to check I'm in the right layby for starting a walk - it confirmed I was close to where I wanted to be, so I thrashed around a bit more, hood pulled tight around my face to try and give some protection. Eventually I came to a semi-clearing - i.e. clear of the densely packed forestry, but instead just packed with gorse. I remember from a walk report that the trig point is surrounded by gorse, so guessed this was the place - though the gorse was so high, shoulder height, I still couldn't see the "summit". Figuring it was likely to be in the centre, I took a deep breath and went a painfully scratchy few strides further in. At last, I could see the trig point. I was very VERY tempted to count that as reaching the summit. What's 5 metres?!? But having got this far, decided to do it properly and push on.
APDC6478.JPG
This looked as good a bit as any to head into

APDC6479.JPG
.... some time later, having taken a non-linear approach, I emerged at the gorse arena

APDC6480.JPG
Several declarations of "ouch" later, I managed to progress far enough to spot the gorse-smothered trig point. At this point I tried to do a zoomed photo to kid myself I was practically there and so could tick off this hill and go home

APDC6482.JPG
....but I battled on, made it to the summit, and it turned out the other side was actually visible. No views of anything other than gorse and trees from the summit though.

APDC6484.JPG
Map and compass had me heading out the better way (yes, this was the better way)

So I got to the summit of Mount Eagle. I can safely say I won't be going there again. It is one for baggers or masochists, as there are no views to be had and little enjoyment tackling those last few metres.

Having said that, I'm glad I did it, and it's one of those experiences which is enjoyable to look back on :lol:

On leaving the summit, knowing my random forest wanderings had maybe left me a bit disorientated, I got out my map and compass to make sure I headed out the right way. Wow. Instead of 20+ minutes, it took me all of 5 minutes to get through the gorse and trees and out into the relatively open area where I could then see the transmitter compound a short distance ahead. Why couldn't I have taken that route in???
APDC6487.JPG
Having emerged back out of the jungle, I looked back and made a mental note that, should I ever re-do this sub2k (which I won't), this is the tree to aim for as going straight in to the trees here is the shortest route to the summit.

Feeling a bit scratched and dishevelled, I just went back the same route, all nice and easy terrain again. I wouldn't recommend doing this hill in summer (and I use the term "hill" loosely, there's no discernible upwards gradient!) - it's definitely one to do when its cold so that you've got multiple layers on for protection.

(And ignore that photo on the WalkHighlands page for Mount Eagle, it shows a lovely clear trig point; must be a few years old!!)
Last edited by gld73 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: In Pin..?The Cobbler ..? No, Mount Eagle...

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:47 pm

I can sympathise. We tried to find the trig point on Mount Eagle and had a similar experience battling through dense gorse and concluded it wasn't worth getting scratched to shreds for what would obviously be no view except more gorse. So we pulled out without touching the trig and controversially still think of Mount Eagle as climbed. I don't think I've ever 'climbed' anything that puts me less in mind of a mount or an eagle! Well done for persevering. You're more nuts than us. :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby PeteR » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:55 pm

Mount Eagle :lol: Sounds so grand........until you experience it yourself.......so little climbing, but such a hard summit to get to. I made the mistake of seeking an 'alternative' route off as well.......nearly sank in an horrific bog :lol: :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Sgurr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:41 pm

I am only glad that I climbed Mount Eagle while the gorse seemed to be younger. All the photos I have since seen of it made it seem awful. The only interesting thing was meeting a lady whose husband had set off on his bike to cycle part of the way home to Alness, and told her to set off after him in half an hour or so. Unfortunately he had taken the car keys with him. We gave her some energy bars and set off on what we thought was the way he had gone, but never located him. I suppose when he got fed up with cycling he might have realised what had happened, but unless either of them are members of WH and can be bothered reading a TR about lowly Mount Eagle, I shall never know.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby gld73 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:56 pm

Sounds like none of us will ever be bumping into each other at Mount Eagle in future, not many happy tales of a problem-free walk to entice us back a second time! :lol:

(and dogplodder, you didn't miss anything other than scratched skin and/or shredded clothes by not going that final wee bit - so yes, count it as done and don't feel guilty!!)
gld73

Postby malky_c » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:53 pm

Well that has definitely got worse in the last 10 years! I think I remember it as a case of just cycling up and walking for a few seconds between well-spaced gorse bushes. Perhaps someone could visit with an industrial lawnmower...
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby BlackPanther » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:01 pm

Now I know why we never bothered...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby gld73 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:58 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Now I know why we never bothered...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ah, but it's so close to home for you, you just know one of these days you'll feel the need to turn that solitary red balloon on the Black Isle to blue... :lol:
gld73

Postby Coop » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:53 am

I'll be on the smaller hills for the next month or so,; I think that may be one I may overlook, unintentially of course :D
Well in for perseverance
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland