walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Driven here by low cloud and it worked out fine

Driven here by low cloud and it worked out fine

Postby dogplodder » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:01 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Meall Doire Faid

Date walked: 19/06/2019

Distance: 10 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was one of those days the forecast got it wrong. Cloud was meant to be high and there was only 10% chance of rain. So we set off for Creag Rainnich, the Corbett with views into Fisherfield and the slabs of Sgurr Ban. Liz and I had talked about climbing Sgurr Ban via Loch a' Bhraoin and I wanted to have a look at our planned route.

When we got to the parking spot near the track in to Loch a' Bhraoin it wasn't looking hopeful. The cloud was thick and low and it had started raining. This was the first hill I'd done with Ruth for more than 20 years and I wanted her to get some views, which as we stepped out of the car didn't look very likely in the direction of Creag Rainnich or the western Fannichs. If it was a case of a quick shower I'd have stuck to the plan but it looked like it wasn't for changing any time soon.

Ruth was driving so I didn't want to prolong the journey more than we had to. The Braemore junction was only a few miles NE of us but it was brighter there with a glimpse of blue sky. I remembered Meall Doire Faid, the Graham next to Beinn Enaiglair which I'd climbed in June 2014. I didn't have the map for it (I know, I know) but had a pretty good picture in my head from reading Black Panther's report (thanks BP) so as long as we weren't engulfed in clag all should be well. We'd go in on the path to Home Loch as before, then follow our descent route from BE as far as the bealach with the two lochans and head up the NE side of the hill from there.

I remembered the path to the loch was marked with wooden posts and had soggy patches in 2014. Back five years later I saw only one remaining post and the path was less wet.

Path from Braemore to Home Loch (June 2014)
1556410_10152438104253788_7059049799203517528_o-large.jpg

Home Loch (June 2014)
DSC03686-large.JPG

Fannichs from Home Loch (June 2014)
DSC03688-largec.JPG

It wasn't as bonny a day as June 2014 had been with blue sky and snow-patched Fannichs. It was cloudy and dull, but at least it wasn't raining as it had been where we'd planned to go.

Meall Doire Faid on the right (June 2019)
IMG_7922.JPG

Weir
IMG_7923.JPG

Waterfall
IMG_7924.JPG

Home Loch
IMG_7925.JPG

Looking SE confirmed Creag Rainnich would have had us walking in cloud. We'd made the right choice.

Creag Rainnich in the murk
IMG_7926c.JPG

But weather can quickly change.That day in 2014 had started bright and sunny but by the time we were coming down it was raining heavily and I found out that day I was needing new boots.

Meall Doire Faid with Fannichs behind from Beinn Enaiglair (June 2014)
DSC03707-large.JPG

Forward to 2019 and for the second time I came to two lochans in a dark and gloomy place (but so far no rain at least).

The two lochans
IMG_7927.JPG

We stayed on the path until level with a slightly raised shelf that we walked along to reach the lochans and crossed between them.

IMG_7928.JPG

Beinn Dearg not looking all that imposing from here
IMG_7929c.JPG

Distant Ben Wyvis and Loch Glascarnoch
IMG_7930c.JPG

We spotted a grassy rake that avoided the crags and zig zagged up, then along a grassy ramp beneath another crag and on to the summit plateau. From there it was an easy walk to the cairn.

Ruth at Meall Doire Faid summit
IMG_7931cc.JPG

It was cloudy and grey but we could see a misty Loch Broom and Ullapool. The wind was strong so we walked back east to find a sheltered spot for lunch. Sitting with our backs to rocks we were out of the wind and after food and 20 years worth of chat, finally stood up to decide what to do next. A few steps out of our shelter and the scene was rather different.

The difference lunch makes
IMG_7934.JPG

So we headed back to the summit
IMG_7935.JPG

From the top we couldn't see all the way down the slope towards Home Loch but I knew from what others had written it was a viable descent route.So that's the way we went.

View from the descent
IMG_7936c.JPG

Weaving a path between the crags
IMG_7938.JPG

Zoomed to Ben Mor Coigach and Stac Pollaidh
IMG_7937c.JPG

Looking SW Creag Rainnich was now clear but if we'd stuck with our initial plan we'd have been soaked, walking for several hours in cloud and rain. We had no regrets about what we'd done. We'd escaped the rain, got good views and the Corbett is still there for us to climb another day.

Creag Rainnich in the clear now
IMG_7939.JPG

Loch a' Bhraoin
IMG_7943c.JPG

Fisherfields and An Teallach
IMG_7940.JPG

IMG_7944.JPG

An Teallach and Home Loch from lower slopes of Meall Doire Faid
IMG_7945c.JPG

There was no difficulty and we were soon on the path back to the car at Braemore junction. It being a smaller hill and shorter distance we had time to spare so paid a visit to the Aultguish Inn on the way home. It wasn't what we'd planned but had turned into a most enjoyable day. Our conclusion was Meall Doire Faid shouldn't be overlooked in pursuit of the big boys. It has craggy character and boasts great views!
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Driven here by low cloud and it worked out fine

Postby gld73 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:08 am

So true - The smaller hills I've done as poor-weather substitutes for the munros/corbetts I was intending to do if the weather had been good have often turned out to be every bit as enjoyable as those bigger, more trodden ones :D
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Re: Driven here by low cloud and it worked out fine

Postby dogplodder » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:16 am

gld73 wrote:So true - The smaller hills I've done as poor-weather substitutes for the munros/corbetts I was intending to do if the weather had been good have often turned out to be every bit as enjoyable as those bigger, more trodden ones :D

Have to admit I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland