walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3 of S Shiel ridge

3 of S Shiel ridge

Postby steviesea » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag a'Mhaim, Sgurr an Doire Leathain, Sgurr an Lochain

Date walked: 07/06/2019

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 1460m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Parked at the Eas-nan-Arm bridge layby and climbed to the summit of Creag nan Damh via its NE ridge. Then followed the standard SSR path eastward, bypassing the top of Sgurr Beag (this time) to reach the summit of Sgurr an Lochain with dramatic views down the craggy east face down to the actual lochan. Then it was onwards to resach the summit of Sgurr an Doire Leathain which is found just off the main ridge path to the north. I then returned the way I'd came, re-ascending SanL but this time skirted off to gain the top of Sgurr Beag, along the Druim a Choire Reidh ridge before descending roughly NW down to the corrie, across a plank bridge onto the outward path. Unfortunately, when reaching the edge of the pine trees I noticed a seemingly more direct path through them which I followed. this was a massive mistake because due to storm damage, including uprooted trees etc it was a bloody nightmare and took twice as long as it would have done by sticking to original path.
steviesea
Wanderer

Munros:46   Corbetts:14
Grahams:8   
Hewitts:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland