walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Clachlet Traverse, 18th April

Clachlet Traverse, 18th April

Postby MacCookie » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh, Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 18/04/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I did an interesting route on Saturday (18th April) with my walking group that I hadn't heard of before: The Clachlett Traverse. It starts at Victoria Bridge by Loch Tulla and ends at the Kingshouse, but instead of following the West Highland Way, it goes right across the top of the Black Mount.

The route starts at the Victoria Bridge by Forest Lodge, north of the Inveroran Hotel. From Victoria Bridge, the route heads along the Abhairn Shira for about 1.5km to the GUM Club's Clashgour hut. From there it heads north into Coire Toaig. After crossing the Allt Caolinn Duibh it heads up towards the summit of Stob a'Choire Odhar at 945m. From Stob a'Choire Odhar it continues west to the bealach at 686m and then up the ridge towards Stob Ghabhar.

From Stob Ghabhar continue north-west and then north onto the broad should of Aonach Mor until grid ref NN224475 is reached.

There's then a turn north east down towards the Bealach Fuar-Chathaidh and then up onto the ridge leading to Clach Leathad. It's then a further 1km to the summit of Creise, the third Munro.

After Creise, the route doubles back for about 500m and then descends east before climbing to the summit of Meall a'Bhuiridh.

From there follow the ski tows north east to the White Corries ski centre and the end of the walk.

The tricky bit is Stob Ghabhar to the Bealach Fuar-Chathaidh as there is only occasionally a footpath. In poor visibility you would need to be quite sure of the turning point at NN224475 as you don't want to miss it or turn off too early.

The total distance was about 22km with some 2000m of ascent.

I've only found a couple of brief mentions of this route on wikipedia, summitpost and in the SMC Guide to the Munros. Worth doing if you fancy a challenging day out (this route is slightly longer and involves more climbing than the South Glen Shiel Ridge!).

I've posted some photos to my flickr account as well for anyone interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maccookie/sets/72157617102512950/detail/

Cheers,
Ewan
Last edited by MacCookie on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Re: Clachlet Traverse, 18th April

Postby cjwaugh » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm

This looks like a great walk have to give it a go some time . :)
Last edited by cjwaugh on Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby MacCookie » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Should add that it took us 10 hours, 10 minutes to complete and it was a relatively fit group that was out with me.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:05 pm

I'd thought about it but the transport is a bit hard at the Victoria Lodge end. Looks like you had perfect weather - great photos 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby bootsandpaddles » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:08 pm

I did this walk last year but instead of dropping down through the ski area I went down the east ridge of Meall a' Bhuiridh towards Ba Cottage and then picked up the West Highland Way back to Victoria Bridge. This made it into a circular walk.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby Freewheelin » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 am

Was up Stob Ghabhar on the Sunday and had discussed this walk with big bruv while we walked along Sron nan Giubhas as we have still to take in Creise. I had thought it would be a good day out leaving a car over in Glen Etive and ending the walk by coming down off Creise via Fionn Ghleann with a possible crossing of the river at NN221520.
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland