walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It's beginning to look a lot like....December!

It's beginning to look a lot like....December!

Postby Jaxter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn a'Mhanaich, Beinn Chaorach

Date walked: 30/11/2019

Time taken: 3.45 hours

Distance: 11.77 km

Ascent: 995m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It had been a big week, with Christmas concert season really kicking off. Following a late night in Edinburgh, I was straight through the Helensburgh for a concert on Saturday morning. I was sincerely regretting agreeing to do anything afterwards…. :roll:

Anyhow…concert dispensed with, the weather was stunning so I drove the few minutes up to Glen Luss, managed a sneaky wee change in the car and I was good to go. I knew I was up against the clock in terms of daylight so I realised I may as well cycle the few km up the track as I had my shiny new bike with me!

I’d forgotten how uphill this track was….so it wasn’t as easy a cycle as I’d expected, but I was definitely looking forward to the return :lol: There were a few icy patches but nothing I couldn’t avoid with care and it looked like it was going to be a fabulous afternoon out 8)

I made it to the dam pretty quickly, dragged the bike through a gate (I’ll leave out the bit about where I let go of the bike and ended up falling over it :roll: ) and left it out the way

Off the track, I crunched my way across a burn and I was out on the hill 8) There were traces of path here and there and to begin with the ground wasn’t too bad either. It was steep going but I gained height pretty quickly!

The steepness continued – last time I was up here there was quite a lot of snow and clag around, but this time I had to look ahead to the rest of the climb :lol:

Looking back – the views starting to open out

I met a guy as I was heading up the last steep section who gave me some interested sunset ideas :shock: But before long the gradient eased and I was almost at the summit

Gare Loch and Loch Long

The Creag an Leinibh & Coille-eughain Hill ridge – this wonderful ridge has been on my radar for a while 8)

It was a beautiful afternoon, even better now I was up high. The ground was frozen and crispy up high; the snow from a couple of weeks ago was all gone but the frost was trying hard to make up for it!

Summit of Beinn Chaorach

I was trying to work out what this was – I’m pretty sure it’s Mull

Zoomed to an atmospheric Cobbler

The Cobbler and Narnain

Looking across to the Cowal Grahams

A little something for Malky if he was here :wink:

It was cold so I added an extra layer and headed off along the ridge

It was an easy walk initially and I made good progress, before I started dropping much more steeply. There were bits of ice around too so I had to be a bit careful

Steep :shock:

Although I’d initially thought I would only have time for one hill, I was moving fast enough that I figured I had time to climb Beinn a’ Mhanach rather than walking back down the glen – the ground was still frozen enough that I could plow straight across rather than following the fence line

Looking up – steep :roll:

Looking back to the descent off Beinn Chaorach

I cut across to meet the fenceline before getting stuck the wrong side of a crevasse :lol:

A frozen waterfall

Looking back to the reservoir

It was a steep climb (everything around here is steep :roll: ) but before long there was a section that slightly levelled off and I took this opportunity to climb over the fence – sadly it’s been fixed since I was last here and it now had very sharp barbed wire across the top :roll: Ouch :lol:

The final climb was brutally steep…but I was so nearly there! And so of course a band of clag decided to move in and make everything very atmospheric :lol:

Gleann na Caorainn – the sun hadn’t managed to reach that far all day and the glen was still frozen!

Looking back down to the reservoir

Looking down Gare Loch – the clag was a bit annoying but also kind of cool 8)

Summit of Beinn a’ Mhanach

I had a wee bit of a wander around the summit to try to keep myself warm – it was absolutely freezing :shock:

Now I had signal I was able to check what time sunset was – the best part of half an hour later than I thought :roll: I danced around for a while before realising I could get a decent way down the ridge and still catch the sunset, so I dropped off the summit, dodging the icy patches :lol:

The bigger hills – a wee big clag-bound the noo

Looking across to Loch Lomond

Beinn Eich and Gleann na Caorainn

The sun starting to drop…

Looking down “The Strone”

Looking all the way back up to the summit – some ridge :shock: :D

Cold 8)

It looked like sunset was going to happen, so I made my stand and started freezing my fingers off :roll:

Beinn Eich

The light was starting to go now…

Looking back to the Cowal hills – clear now of course :roll:

Looking down across Faslane

Looking back to Beinn a’ Mhanach and Beinn Chaorainn

I dropped off the ridge – as I’d cycled to the dam I had to drop steeply back down to it :lol:

It was crazy steep and the dying light made the last bit slightly awkward but I got to the dam without falling over or needing my head torch :lol:

The reservoir in the almost dark

I picked the bike back up, headtorch on and about 2 minutes of dodging icy patches in the dark later I was back at the car!

Then I got in the car and headed for Corran before I thought about it properly – if I had I’d have probably said sod it and driven home :lol:

luss grahams.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: It's beginning to look a lot like....December!

Postby Sgurr » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:24 pm

They will need a lot more of those "No Drone zone" posters. Just thought to look at your bag-log. Amazing. I think I may have done Caer Caradoc (under protest) and got half way up the East Lomond at your stage in life.(Hope that doesn't sound patronising...not meant.)
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Sgurr » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Double post
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:20 pm

Wow, gorgeous. The views and the weather are almost as beautiful as the woman posing on the summit. :wink:
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby PeteR » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:31 am

Had to remind myself of these two........a quick look back at my photos reminded me of what a great day I'd had out on them with a bit of later winter snow a few years back. They give some great views to loftier neighbours for sure. Looks like you had a great day out on them too :)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jaxter » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Sgurr wrote:They will need a lot more of those "No Drone zone" posters. Just thought to look at your bag-log. Amazing. I think I may have done Caer Caradoc (under protest) and got half way up the East Lomond at your stage in life.(Hope that doesn't sound patronising...not meant.)

I'm flattered - it's not really intentional though, just like climbing hills 8) 8)

al78 wrote:Wow, gorgeous. The views and the weather are almost as beautiful as the woman posing on the summit. :wink:

:lol: :lol:
It was a beautiful day 8)

PeteR wrote:Had to remind myself of these two........a quick look back at my photos reminded me of what a great day I'd had out on them with a bit of later winter snow a few years back. They give some great views to loftier neighbours for sure. Looks like you had a great day out on them too :)

They're great hills aren't they! Not bad for wee local hills 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Lovely way to end the day. I love being outdoors at dusk and into the night, something I do regularly though have barely made it to a hill all year sadly.

Not sure I've seen that view of the Cobbler before; it looks spectacular from that angle!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Jaxter » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:18 pm

Mal Grey wrote:Lovely way to end the day. I love being outdoors at dusk and into the night, something I do regularly though have barely made it to a hill all year sadly.

Not sure I've seen that view of the Cobbler before; it looks spectacular from that angle!

Ill be honest, I stood for longer than I’d like to admit trying to work out what it was to start with! Something to do with not having any views from these hills last time around :lol:
I know what you mean about nighttime’s. I love the first and last lights, something kind of special about seeing the beginning and the end of the day 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland