walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5 Ettrick Donalds and a Winter Camp

5 Ettrick Donalds and a Winter Camp

Postby hendry670 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Capel Fell, Croft Head, Ettrick Pen

Donalds included on this walk: Capel Fell, Croft Head, Ettrick Pen, Loch Fell, Wind Fell

Date walked: 01/12/2019

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1421m

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a fortnight of miserable wet weather, a fantastic hill forecast for the weekend was too good an opportunity to pass up. A plan was hatched to head for Moffat, take in a few Donalds around Ettrick Head and throw in a first winter wild camp for good measure. After much faffing about making sure I had enough warm layers, I finally set off around lunchtime from Selcoth fisheries. The afternoon sunshine was glorious as I made my way up the shoulder of Croft Head. There looked to be a more established track alongside Steinstane burn, however the faint path up the shoulder made for fairly easy going, the ground firm and crisp underfoot.

001.jpg
Great to be out
002.jpg
Looking back down the shoulder of Croft Head

Joining a more substantial ATV track further up, I was soon on the summit before turning left to head down cat shoulder. I paused to admire the view from here which really is stunning in every direction, before starting my descent down the zig zags to the sheepfold below. A direct ascent of West Knowe looked painfully steep from here (especially fully loaded), so I decided instead to contour around, stopping to fill my water bottles from the burn before heading up the North East shoulder.

003.jpg
Great viewpoint
004.jpg
Quick breather at the sheepfold
005.jpg
Collecting some water before starting up the hill

As I started the climb a thick mist suddenly rolled in and a bit of map and compass work was needed to stay on the right bearing. The views then opened up as I approached the summit, the mist blowing through and the sun beginning to set. Wonderful. A short stroll along the fence line from here and I was on the summit of Loch Fell. A quick scout around revealed a couple of flat spots for the tent so I decided to pitch up here for the night rather than push on into the darkness.

006.jpg
Sun and Mist on the slopes of West Knowe
007.jpg
Enjoying the sunset from West Knowe
008.jpg
Tent up and layers on!

The views from camp were lovely, but it was also bloody freezing, so I was quickly inside, layered up and settling down for the night. I tried and failed to get the stove going, the gas being too cold – so settled instead for a cold snack and an early night after venturing out to look at the stars. The temperature I think dropped to around -7 overnight but I found with all the layers on I was able to stay warm. I slept well, waking around 8 as the sun came up. I’d had the gas canister with me in my sleeping bag overnight so was able to make a brew and some porridge and felt immediately transformed – so obviously needed defrosting after all :) Stepping outside it was a beautiful morning, around -3 still, but down to -10 with the wind chill.

009.jpg
Tent views
010.jpg
Morning has broken
011.jpg
Windchill reading
012.jpg
Frosty Poles

After another brew I was soon packed up and making my way across to the top of Wind Fell. Dropping the rucksack here, I continued on to Hopetoun Craig and then to the summit of Ettrick Pen. It was nice to get the pack off for a bit, making progress a lot easier with the odd stop to savour the views and conditions.

013.jpg
Wind Fell Summit
014.jpg
Looking over to Ettrick Pen from Hopetoun Craig
015.jpg
Ettrick Pen Summit Cairn

Returning the way I came, I collected the pack and headed down towards Ettrick Head and then back up the shoulder of Capel Fell. Reaching the top – and with most of the climbing now done for the day, I could enjoy the fantastic views over to Hart Fell and a lovely ridge walk taking in a few more tops before dropping down to the Bodesbeck burn. On the way down to the burn I considered including a quick ascent of Bodesbeck law, but in the end decided against it with time now pressing on. Instead I picked up a good firm track heading out of the hills alongside the burn. Going was a bit slower than I’d anticipated as there was thick ice across the path in places, but I was in no rush so took my time, enjoying the beautiful afternoon light striking the hills around me.

016.jpg
View from Capel Fell
017.jpg
Gorgeous colours

Passing through a farm and out to a main road, it was then a short trek back to the start and home. A fantastic couple of days out enjoying the hills, so lucky to get these conditions two days on the bounce at this time of the year. A fantastic walking area and I was surprised to have the hills to myself, didn’t see a soul over the two days. Really enjoying walking the Donalds.

Day1.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day2.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

hendry670
Munro compleatist

Munros:50   Corbetts:15
Fionas:10   Donalds:29
Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   

Re: 5 Ettrick Donalds and a Winter Camp

Postby iangpark » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Lovely stuff - have never seen those hills look better!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Postby arjh » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:14 pm

That's some hardy camping... much respect :clap:
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Postby Outnabout » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:58 pm

Because of the report and those pictures, I'm hoping to do some of those on Saturday.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby hopper68 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Nice to see a camp on these hills ,i like the southern uplands ,done a few of the hills around Moffat . I camped on Ben Vorlich that weekend which was stunning..I don't know what gas you were using but i use Coles Extreme for winter without any problems...cheers looked a cracking trip..
hopper68
Munro compleatist

Munros:199   Corbetts:34
Fionas:17   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:13   Islands:11

Postby hendry670 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:20 pm

hopper68 wrote:Nice to see a camp on these hills ,i like the southern uplands ,done a few of the hills around Moffat . I camped on Ben Vorlich that weekend which was stunning..I don't know what gas you were using but i use Coles Extreme for winter without any problems...cheers looked a cracking trip..
Thanks for this hopper68 :thumbup: hadn't realised about the different types of gas. I was just using ordinary Colemans. Ordered some extreme up - looks just the ticket - should make the next camp a bit more enjoyable!
hendry670
Munro compleatist

Postby hendry670 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:29 pm

Outnabout wrote:Because of the report and those pictures, I'm hoping to do some of those on Saturday.

Thanks very much! Looks like it could be a chilly one - have a great trip
hendry670
Munro compleatist

Postby onsen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:22 pm

I'm closing my eyes & picturing the crispy crunchiness underfoot...nice pics hendry670. :thumbup:
onsen
Munro compleatist

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland