walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Quiraing circuit

Quiraing circuit

Postby thepigguy » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Route description: Quiraing, hill circuit

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall na Suiramach

Date walked: 29/09/2019

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7.55 km

Ascent: 522m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Three days after leaving Orkney, I finally made it to Skye. Waking up with a sore knee after hammering down the track on Little Wyvis the day before, I took it easy with a couple of low level strolls, some sightseeing and the mother of all ice creams in Kyle of Lochalsh, before finally making it to Glenbrittle at around 5pm on the Saturday.

My stepson Pat had been working at the hostel during the summer and had mentioned doing "a couple of Munros" before we headed back north. Having gauged my fitness and knowing the difficulty of the Cuillin hills I wasn't too sorry to wake up to low cloud and occasional drizzle on Sunday morning.

Cuillin1JPG.jpg
Clag on the Cuillin

The idea of any Munro heroics having been consigned to the "some other time" file, we checked weather forecasts and headed north where the best conditions were to be found. We dawdled up, stopping for sights along the way, and formed a vague notion to head for The Storr. Not surprisingly for the last Sunday in September the car parks and sides of the road were overflowing so that idea was binned and we pushed on to the Quiraing.

It was relatively quiet here, or at least we had no bother parking up. We roughly followed the WH route in reverse, heading straight up from the road and, given the worn, muddy condition of the path, I was glad to be heading up not down.

MNS1JPG.jpg
Looking at the return path from the car park

MNS2JPG.jpg
Cracking views right from the start of this great walk

MNS3JPG.jpg
Looking back to Bioda Buidhe

We took a detour to the summit of Meall na Suiramach, taking a tea break there, before heading back to the edge and more of those astonishing views, the lumps, bumps and jaggedy bits somehow bringing Tolkein to mind.

MNS7JPG.jpg
Summit of Meall na Suiramach

MNS4JPG.jpg
The remarkable landscape of the Quiraing

MNS5JPG.jpg
More Quiraing

MNS6JPG.jpg
Even more Quiraing

We hoped to divert to Sgurr Mor to take in the views out to the Western Isles, but the cloud that had been threatening all afternoon started to drop and we cut back across to the path - a stile followed by a very slippy, very worn, short section that we eventually climbed out of and went along the side.

Then it was a case of following the mostly excellent path back through the Quiraing, past the Needle and the Prison before eventually returning to the car park.

MNS8JPG.jpg
Cloud starts to move in

MNS10JPG.jpg
Quickly descending cloud prompts change of plan

MNS13JPG.jpg
Return path

MNS14JPG.jpg
The Needle
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:10   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:68   Hewitts:5
Islands:24

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland