walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Do it the other way 'round

Do it the other way 'round

Postby teutebod » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:23 pm

Route description: Mam na Gualainn circuit, Kinlochleven

Corbetts included on this walk: Mam na Gualainn

Date walked: 21/04/2009

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A really very nice day out. I've done it the other way around than described and would recommend doing so. It leaves you with the steeper ascent at the beginning of the day and gives you a gentler descent at the end. If in any doubt about timing - this variation also leaves you with the long and easy chilled out walk back to Kinlochleven on the straight forward (even if it's dark) West Highland Way at the end of the day. If people feel fit and the touring rucksack is not too heavy this could even be a variation to the West Highland Way on your walk to Fort William. You'll have to be prepared to do a proper river crossing then, though.
teutebod

Munros:7   

Re: Do it the other way 'round

Postby mountain tortoise » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi there
I have also done this one the other way around. I always prefer steep up than steep down where possible. But it is a great walk and have done it several times. In fact we are taking a group up to Scotland next week and this is one of the planned walks.
mountain tortoise
Scrambler

Munros:10   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:56

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:18 pm

But I'd want the best views by coming down the nose looking to the head of Loch Leven....
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Papagenos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:14 pm

I thought long and hard about which way to write this route. I have done it both ways and on balance prefer to walk out on the West Highland Way, mainly because I find its roughness tough going on tired legs at the end of the day. Either way it's a tremendous walk.
Papagenos
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:32   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland