walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Retro Walk : Lomond Hills

Retro Walk : Lomond Hills

Postby houdi » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:22 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Lomond, West Lomond

Date walked: 30/12/2010

Time taken: 3 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Judging by some of the fantastic reports this month, I really need to get out more. Of course, it doesn't help living 500 miles away from all those lovely Scottish hills, but c'est la vie as the French say.

This report goes back to Christmas and I timed the weather completely wrong over the Festive season, arriving in Scotland at the end of the cold spell where I had to endure four days of thick fog when a warm front moved in for a few days. Two days before New Year, Fife experienced a crystal clear afternoon and I nipped up onto the Lomond Hills to finally stretch my legs. The views were stunning with the Grampians particularly spectacular covered from head to toe in thick snow. This put me off my guard. The next day I drove to Glencoe hoping the good weather would hold out. It didn’t. A thick cloud base extended right down to the valley floor. Worse than that the warm front had melted all the snow. The East side of the country was still covered in the white stuff. In the West it had all but disappeared.

The cloud eased a little towards midday and I retreated to Bridge of Orchy where Stob Ghabar was trying to poke its head out of the cloud. I walked up the valley towards the beallach between Ghabar and Stob ‘A Choire Odhair. It was mild and a couple of student types passed me wearing short sleeves. It was an odd moment especially as it was minus 14 when I drove up through the Leadhills almost a week previously. Anyway, it was obvious the cloud wasn’t going to lift. I’d already done Ghabar in the cloud prior to this and wasn’t about to experience another clag-ridden summit. I’m not a Munro-bagger so I don’t have a burning compulsion to ascend hills in clag. I gave up and headed for the Green Wellie in Tyndrum. How sad is that on a scale of one to ten?

I drove back to Devon on January three days later having given up on the weather. As I headed down through the Pentlands on the A702 the skies were covered in thick white cloud high above the hills. Clear summits everywhere. I never did have much luck with the weather.

As the East Lomond Hill is just at the back of where my old mum lives in Glenrothes they were handy for a sunny afternoon. I've done the East hill loads of times before, but the West hill only once and in a thunderstorm (not recommended incidentally). Enjoyed this short bagging of both hills and the hang-gliders were an unexpected bonus.

Lom1.JPG
East Lomond Hill

Lom2.JPG
Looking back from the East/West path

Lom3.JPG
Distant snow-covered hills

Lom4.JPG
View north from West Lomond summit

Lom5.JPG
More snow covered hills

Lom6.JPG
Yeah, that’s enough I think…….

Lom7.JPG
Looking across Ballo Reservoir to the Firth of Forth

Lom8.JPG
East Lomond from West Lomond

Lom9.JPG
Yes, it’s a trig point!

Lom10.JPG
Sunshine on East Lomond

Lom11.JPG
Hang-gliders prepare for take off on East Lomond

Lom12.JPG
And now West Lomomd from East Lomond

Lom13.JPG
It’s a spectator sport

Lom14.JPG
A perfect backdrop

Lom15.JPG
Hang-gliding triumvirate

Lom16.JPG
Looking West

Lom17.JPG
West Lomond sunset

Lom18.JPG
And over Ballo

Lom19.JPG
Heading back down with West Lomomd view
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Re: Retro Walk : Lomond Hills

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:48 pm

Looks like a decent day out was had houdi! Remember seeing the gliders out when I was up on the East hill a few years back. Never made it to the West one yet - maybe rectify that state of affairs this summer.
Graeme D

Munros:225   Corbetts:107
Grahams:65   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:56   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:56 pm

Great report Houdi and some fine photo's to boot. Bit of a pig about the weather for the rest of your trip but on the bright side.....it could have been like it for the whole of your trip :shock: Coming up from Devon do you have to stop and acclimatise a some midway point ? :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby houdi » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:51 pm

No, ChrisW, I don't have to stop to acclimatise any longer but, as a Yorkshireman, I always make sure my anti-tetanus is up to date before driving through Lancashire.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:23 pm

houdi wrote:No, ChrisW, I don't have to stop to acclimatise any longer but, as a Yorkshireman, I always make sure my anti-tetanus is up to date before driving through Lancashire.

As a fellow Yorkshireman I can only respond with this..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland