walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhada via the Sgurr a Choire Ghairbh ridge

Beinn Fhada via the Sgurr a Choire Ghairbh ridge

Postby jacob » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:06 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhada, from Morvich

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhada

Date walked: 11/09/2019

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When returning from Scotland last September, I only found time for one WR, https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92315, but ofcourse this was not my only little adventure.
After the above linked walk, and having arrived back in Kinlochewe, I headed south, to meet a friend on Arran. I must admit it was a long drive for a walk up only Beinn Tarsuinn the next day and then back up north. I had planned on a longer multiday walk on Arran, but company means compromise.
As I arrived in Kintail too late to summit, I headed up the excellent footpath to Beinn Fhada, hoping for a nice campspot before dark.
I found it at the waterfall, where on the map is shows a triangle (for tent)_

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After a good night's sleep, I broke up camp and headed upstream, towards the Sgurr a Choire Ghairbh ridge. From there I scrambled up to the plateau of Beinn Fhada, to find myself lost in clag. Sloppily following compass needle I passed the summit, to find myself out of the clag in pretty nice weather way to far east. At the summit views were amazing and I stayed there a good hour for photos and admiring the views. Here's some pics.

SAM_3238 (2).JPG
The approach

SAM_3239 (2).JPG

SAM_3253.JPG
A perfect campspot. Dinner & bedtime.

SAM_3259 (2).JPG
Heading up the next morning, nothing but deer for company.

SAM_3265 (2).JPG
Almost at the bealach, looking back on the way of ascent and wildcamp

SAM_3272 (2).JPG
On the ridge now, looking at the northern slopes of the Sisters.

SAM_3279.JPG
No views on the ridge

SAM_3296.JPG
Looking back on the ridge, once I've reached the summit plateau

SAM_3308.JPG
Local herbivors

SAM_3322 (2).JPG
Loads of moody pics, before the skies opened up.

SAM_3327.JPG
In clag, I had walked past Fhada's summit. I only realised this when skies cleared up. Here's a much to easterly view on Loch Cluanie

SAM_3343.JPG
Retraced my steps, got to the summit in great weather.

SAM_3352.JPG

SAM_3368 (2).JPG
I am sorry, but I couldn't resist a panorama

SAM_3380.JPG
Nor a selfie of some off-centre sort

SAM_3374.JPG
Crags of the Sgurr a Choire Ghairbh ridge

SAM_3382.JPG
Beautifully lit crags

SAM_3392.JPG

SAM_3394.JPG
The way out

More to come soon on beautiful Kintail
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: Beinn Fhada via the Sgurr a Choire Ghairbh ridge

Postby Silverhill » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:14 pm

Great to see this hill from a different angle! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dav2930 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:21 pm

Looks a good route. The crags of the ridge in your photos look very striking. I've not been up Beinn Fhada yet; thanks to your report I'm rather looking forward to it. :)
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby jacob » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Silverhill wrote:Great to see this hill from a different angle! 8)

dav2930 wrote:Looks a good route. The crags of the ridge in your photos look very striking. I've not been up Beinn Fhada yet; thanks to your report I'm rather looking forward to it. :)

Thanks Silverhill and Dav. The ridge surely is a plus, giving extra interest to the route. However never during the easy scramble did it feel like the photo of the crags suggests.
jacob

Postby Roger n Sue Fellows » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:07 pm

A fabulous mountain. To continue along the ridge to Beinn Buidhe is eminently possible. The ridge may require four-point contact in some places. If you're worried by the prospect of a scramble choose a day with plenty of hours daylight and be prepared to reverse to join your ascent route.

My wife says beware of ticks as you walk down the ridge into the fenced area. Bracken and heather with no obvious continuous path.
Roger n Sue Fellows
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:19
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Very atmospheric photos, and a wonderful spot to camp before an excellent looking walk.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:46 pm

Some great pics. I hope to be enjoying similar views in a couple of weeks' time... ...though ideally with more than a little dusting of the white stuff.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:10 am

Nice one Jacob. Cracking hill. I did a similar route to that last year. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jacob » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:22 pm

Roger n Sue Fellows wrote:A fabulous mountain. To continue along the ridge to Beinn Buidhe is eminently possible. The ridge may require four-point contact in some places. If you're worried by the prospect of a scramble choose a day with plenty of hours daylight and be prepared to reverse to join your ascent route.

My wife says beware of ticks as you walk down the ridge into the fenced area. Bracken and heather with no obvious continuous path.

Thank you RnSF. I was aware of the route you describe, but decided against because I headed for a proper wildcampspot, which I wasn't sure I' d get on that route. I'd love to do it one time, but too much on my bucket list already, and there's sadly too little holidays and Scotland' s too far away.

Mal Grey wrote:Very atmospheric photos, and a wonderful spot to camp before an excellent looking walk.

Thanks Mal, yes the spot was wonderful. Flattest ground ever found wildcamping.

Alteknacker wrote:Some great pics. I hope to be enjoying similar views in a couple of weeks' time... ...though ideally with more than a little dusting of the white stuff.

Thanks A'knacker. Overlooking the Sisters in more than little dusting must be a great view. Fingers crossed for you, please write a WR if you get what you wished for.

Sunset tripper wrote:Nice one Jacob. Cracking hill. I did a similar route to that last year. :D

Thanks S T. As I said, I think taking on the ridge as well is of added value to the WH route, both for excitement, as for passing two corries instead of one.
jacob

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland