walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

You Drive me Creise

You Drive me Creise

Postby ScotFinn65 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:12 am

Route description: Creise and Meall a'Bhùiridh from the Ski centre

Munros included on this walk: Creise, Meall a' Bhùiridh

Date walked: 01/08/2018

Time taken: 4.8 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1100m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My first week of hillwalking was to coming to a close and the second one was starting. I had just spent 5 days in Killin tackling the Lawers and Loch Earn hills. I was having a fantastic experience but now it was time to move on up to the Glen Coe area. I had booked in to the Clachaig for 6 nights and planned to walk all those fantastic, iconic hills in the area. :crazy: Optimistic or what :D

I had decided to take shortish route on my transfer day and selected Creise and Meall a'Bhuiridh (just got to learn to pronounce them now) :wink: I had a leisurely drive up from Killin, stopping several times to take pictures of the hills as I passed.
20180801_112327.jpg
Beinn Dorain from the car

Then I arrived at the ski centre with the sight of the Buachaille greeting me. Not the most glamourous picture of the big shepherd but still an icon.
01_20180801_115152.jpg

As you can see, the weather was not very inviting for hillwalking. So I parked myself in the ski centre cafe and sat down in the comfy sofa with a roll with bacon and black pudding. I stared out at the clouds skipping across the Buachaille and thought how lucky I was to have this time off for myself, even if the weather was not at it's best.

I then turned my attentions straight uphill to the path starting Meall a'Bhuiridh. The big gash in the ground that the ski lift followed seemed steep. Cloud covered everything above the end of the first section and the mountain was not really visible. Then I got an idea. Why not take the short cut and use the lift to by pass this section and if the cloud level was just at the top of the lift I would just return down and try something else for the day. I am sure this is not for the purists but I didn't mind getting a leg up. :wink:
02_20180801_124516.jpg
Coming off the top of the ski lift

As I got off the ski lift, the clouds cleared a little and I could see the area around me and back to the road. The path that cut around the hill first and then headed up the line of further ski lift pylons was quite visible, so I started my walk for the day.
03_20180801_125801.jpg

I could see a couple of people in front of me so felt safe the I could enter the higher clag with come company around the hills. The walk itself was straight forward but as I gained height the panorama back down to the ski centre and across the Rannoch Moor really started to open up. I was thankful that the cloud had lifted sufficiently to allow such scenes and felt the day was improving.
04_20180801_130704.jpg
White Corries Ski lift and Rannoch Moor

I proceeded up the grassy slopes and found the line of the ski pylons as described in the WH route guide. I followed it to the top ski station. I was really surprised at the condition of the ski station and the rust on the pylons. I have never skied in Scotland but never came across equipment in this condition in Europe. I believe the Atlantic salty air has a lot to do with the condition of the infrastructure but at the same time I couldn't help wonder if it was safe. Maybe someone could tell me if this higher station is even in use?

Just a short walk around the top of building was the summit of Meall a'Bhuiridh and great views down the steep glen and all the way back to Rannoch Moor, again.
06_20180801_135218.jpg
Meall a'Bhuiridh summit and back to Rannoch Moor

There was an almighty steep plummet into the coire below. I sat for a couple of minutes and had a snack staring into the coire and the small lochan below.
07_20180801_140017.jpg
Coire an Easain from Meall a'Bhuiridh Summit

Soon as I was ready to go again. I grabbed my walking poles and headed toward the track to Creise. I was not expecting a ridgewalk at this point and was pleasantly surprised, as I started to decend the bealach, to see the track stretch out in front of me.
08_20180801_140021.jpg
The route between the 2 Munros

I could now see the two men in front of me which I noticed earlier when I can off the lift. I soon caught them up and we started to walk the rest of the day together. Our first challenge was a short and easy scramble up onto the plateau which led to the Munro summit. I was not expecting any hands on but was grateful for the practice whilst sharing the company. the views back to Meall a'Bhuiridh were the last I would see for the next hour.
08_20180801_142002.jpg
View back to Meall a'Bhuiridh

As we pulled up onto the flat top and make our way across to the summit cairn, the clag drifted back in again. It was only about 500-600 meters across to the cairn but it was fairly featureless in the clag and navigation was not so straight forward. We all walked spread-out and followed loose paths across some stoney ground and picked the path up now and again. However, we arrived at the summit without any real diffilculties.
09_20180801_145236.jpg
Creise summit in the clag. Munro #10 for me.

We returned across the flat summit area searching for the exit gulley on the left that would take us back to the first Munro top and eventually to the return track. This was not as easy as it may seem. Luckily one of the guys recognized the small marker cairn. I must admit, it was nowhere near the place that I would have been looking, lucky for me :shock:

We made our way back across the connecting ridge, then down the line of the ski pylons, down to the ski lift and finally the steep gully back to the ski centre.

As it turned out, it was another great day and a lot of experience that would be useful down the line.

Criese.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: You Drive me Creise

Postby Grisu » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:11 pm

Your report gives me some inspiration for my next holiday and I like the idea of taking the lift. It's holiday after all and one should make it as much enjoyable as possible :D . Good choice and another good day I guess :thumbup:
Anke
Grisu
Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:27   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:38 am

Your report gives me some inspiration for my next holiday and I like the idea of taking the lift. It's holiday after all and one should make it as much enjoyable as possible  . Good choice and another good day I guess  
Anke

Thanks Anke.

I didn't assume l would inspire anyone with hitching a ride on the ski lift 😁. Quite the opposite, l expected the purists to say l hadn't completed the Munro. :crazy:

But either way...... I enjoyed it and Creise was quite nice...........and the lift made my day just that bit easier 👍
Last edited by ScotFinn65 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby Raynor » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:15 pm

You cheated using the lift. I'm afraid that means your munro round is completely invalid and you will need to start from scratch :lol:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:20 pm

You cheated using the lift. I'm afraid that means your munro round is completely invalid and you will need to start from scratch 

Damn! I knew it :lol:

1.......2.........3 :lol:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Walk wish-list

Postby LoveWalking » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:55 pm

Grisu wrote:I like the idea of taking the lift. It's holiday after all and one should make it as much enjoyable as possible

I agree :D
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:35 pm

LoveWalking wrote: one should make it as much enjoyable as possible

Other enjoyable options from this pair are the scramble on Sron na Creise (or an easier option via the NE ridge of Stob a' Ghlais Choire), or the longer approach from the east via Ba Cottage: the latter almost entirely avoids the ski area.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland