walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Dumgoyne and the Earl's Seat

Dumgoyne and the Earl's Seat

Postby HorZa » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Route description: Dumgoyne and Earl's Seat, near Killearn

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 30/06/2018

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 687m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When starting out to extend my walking distance I decided a trip to the top of Dumgoyne would be a good idea. Normally this would probably be a great idea, but with the sun heating up the west coast of Scotland to 30+ degrees it maybe wasn't my greatest idea.

Dumgoyne_and_The_Earl_s_Seat.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I parked up in the layby beyond the carpark for the Glengoyne Distillery and immediately saw people going up the path which is now blocked off. Unsure of where to go we wandered south past the distillery and over the fence and the stile.

DDD458D4-5D75-4875-A793-76FC49D878DC.jpeg
Starting the ascent to Dumgoyne

I thought in my unfit state it would be good to establish a fairly quick pace heading up the initial slopes. I must have managed about two thirds of the ascent before having to stop and catch my breath after feeling ever so slightly sick. Healthier/fitter people probably wouldn't feel the same way! After setting off from a brief rest the path wound its way back and forth up the steep sides of Dumgoyne:

FCF19ADF-028D-413C-9383-157F55411106.jpeg
Steep sides of Dumgoyne

It wasn't long before I reached the top and was rewarded with a commanding view. Unfortunately there were hundreds of flies which made it uncomfortable to stick around for even a few minutes. No chance to stop and have a bite to eat sadly. As in the description it is not quite clear where the path to continue on, however another walker (who was braving the flies longer than me) kindly gave me a hint from where other people had disappeared to.

The walk down was fairly steep and I can imagine in wetter conditions it might not be too pleasant. Once off of Dumgoyne and back onto the flat, undulating ground heading towards the Earl's Seat it was worth turning aorund for one last look at the hill.

65E7DFC5-DA0F-4205-961B-923C48AD6D78_1_201_a.jpeg
Looking back at Dumgoyne

From here there were great views towards Loch Lomond as the path continued on the the trig point marker.

05639C46-6AA5-4723-8528-477A87DCED5D.jpeg
View along the way

There were a few parts of the walk that you could see where the bogs would usually be, but fortunately the heat had pretty much evaporated them, making the journey a lot easier.

On the way back from the trig point there was a clear straight line through the undergrowth before meeting back up with the outward path.

With a bit of a sore knee developing I opted for a shortcut around Dumgoyne, rather than venturing back to the top and the flies.

A very enjoyable walk, with a bit of a challenge heading up the initial slopes of the hill. I can imagine without the flies you'd want to stick aorund at the summit for a lot longer.
HorZa
Mountaineer

Munros:61   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland