walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Aden

Ben Aden

Postby canisp » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 pm

Route description: Ben Aden, by Loch Quoich

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Aden

Date walked: 22/04/2009

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Aden, 887 metres
OS Map 33, Grid Ref 899986
Parked at Grid Ref 966041
Distance walked 32 km’s
Height Gain 900 metres
18 April 2009

With good weather forecast for Saturday i decided to have a crack at Ben Aden, not the easiest of Corbetts. I like early starts and was parked and away walking by 6:30 am. After 2 km’s i left the road and hiked over rough ground to pick up the path that heads for the Abhainn Chosaidh, today the river posed no problem and i was soon across and on the track that goes to the dam.

0916.jpg
Cloud on the top of Ben Aden, left

1028.jpg
Looking up the craggy east ridge

1111.jpg
Looking down the craggy east ridge to Loch Quoich

1114.jpg
Picking a way through the crags

After a short rest at the 2nd dam, going 1 km west put me at the Allt Coire na Cruaiche, and once across this river it was time to start gaining height up the east ridge which goes for 2 km’s to Ben Aden’s summit. The ridge, broad and grassy at first becomes rockier and narrower as height is gained, and looking up the way ahead sometimes seemed barred by crags but a way could always be found over or round them, and just over 5 hours after setting off i reached the summit.

1117.jpg
Crags

1131.jpg
Crags

1146.jpg
Near the summit looking back to Loch Quoich

1149.jpg
Ben Aden’s summit on the left, Luinne Bheinn on the far right

The views were excellent if a little hazy in the distance and i was happy to have bagged this summit, but of course i was only halfway really as i still had to get down and it looked an awful long way back.

1221.jpg
Luinne Bheinn left of centre and Loch Hourn

1243.jpg
Looking down the ridge from the summit to Loch Quoich, Sgurr Mor is the peak just right of centre

1333.jpg
Sgurr na Ciche

1340.jpg
Loch Quoich and Sgurr Mor

After spending 80 minutes on the summit it was time to go and i took a different route down, after 100 metre’s along the ridge i descended a grassy slope then picked my way down through crags to reach the Allt Coire na Cruaiche, and so back to the dam. All that remained now was an 11 km walk to the car.

1522.jpg
Sgurr Mor from Loch Quoich dam

1530.jpg
Sgurr Mor reflected in Loch Quoich

1624.jpg
Gairich right of centre reflected in Loch Quoich

1643.jpg
Loch Quoich and Gairich
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Re: Ben Aden

Postby yokehead » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Marvellous canisp, how I envy you! A real marathon as well, nicely done. 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby GarryH » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Superb photo`s canisp,what a trek that was in what look`s to be a very remote area.
GarryH

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:27 pm

Stunning pics - Ben Aden looks a real prize for any Corbett bagger too :lol: . Only 36 left for you to do? 8)

I like the photo with the huge square block of rock - amazing bit of landscape.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Alan S » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:42 pm

great report canisp with stunning pics
i like the last 4 from the loch especially the 2 mirrored shots
what a trek this one is i cant imagine there will be too many reports on this corbett as its so remote
32km :shock: ,it must have been worth it
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby bigbertie » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:37 pm

Great walk Canisp, and the photos up to your usual high standard. Ben Aden is a connoiseur's Corbett - amazing hill, very remote, spectacular location. It is definitely on my wish list - I nearly did it during a stay at Barrisdale bothy about 15 years ago, but we ran out of food and walked out a day early! You certainly got the right weather for it. Look forward to your next report! Bigbertie
bigbertie

Postby Cuillin » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Very much got this hill in my sights Canisp and hope to do it this spring. If I get half as good a day as yourself, I'll be delighted and the east ridge pictures give a great feel for the hill - thanks. :D
Cuillin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:62   

Postby foggieclimber » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Great to see Ben Aden again. I did this in 2007 as part of a long-ish walk.

Hills: Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoigh (Corbett), Sgurr nan Coireachan (Munro), Garbh Chioch Mhor (Munro), Sgurr na Ciche (Munro) and Ben Aden (Corbett)
Date: 26 & 27 May 2007
Weather: Dry throughout, occasional sunshine
Attendees: Myself and Sheryl
Time: 18 hours walking

We set off walking at 9:00am from Strathan. We followed the land-rover track as far as the house at Glendessary before taking to the hillside. We ascended the pathless North-West ridge to the West of the Allt Coire Chicheanais and eventually reached the summit of the Corbett Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoigh.

View from Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoigh to Sgurr nan Coireachan:

From the Corbett summit, we descended to the col and then ascended to the top of An Eag at 873m. From this top we continued on to reach the first Munro of the day Sgurr nan Coireachan.

Sheryl on Sgurr nan Coireachan:

View from Sgurr nan Coireachan to Garbh Chioch Mhor and Sgurr na Ciche:

After a quick bite to eat, we continued along the ridge to Garbh Chioch Beag then on to the summit of the second Munro Garbh Chioch Mhor.

Garbh Cioch Mhor:

Again we descended, following the dry-stane dyke, and then ascended a mix of scree and boulders onto the summit ridge of Sgurr na Ciche and then onto the summit itself.

Meall Bhuidhe from Sgurr na Ciche:

The Isles from Sgurr na Ciche:

View of Ben Aden from Sgurr na Ciche:

The next section was definitely the most interesting and exhilirating.

After a wee break, we set out for Ben Aden (The route-finding for which can definitely be described as "somewhat challenging"). Lots of ups, downs, round crags, over crags, between crags ... We eventually reached the summit of Ben Aden, a prize Corbett, and were rewarded with spectacular views:

View from Ben Aden:

View from Ben Aden:

Sgurr na Ciche from Ben Aden:

We descended from Ben Aden, without encountering too many difficulties, making for the River Carnach.

Looking back to Ben Aden from River Carnach:

Unfortunately, we stuck to the South-bank of the river when heading for Sourlies which was very wet underfoot (knee-deep in places). On reflection the North-bank may have been better.

The walk round the beach and views at the end of Loch Nevis were incredible. After a long day, we eventually reached the bothy at around 22:00. After a quick meal, consisting of pasta and midges, we thought we had better go to sleep, as everyone else in the bothy was already sleeping.

Sourlies bothy:

The following morning we set off back for Strathan, leaving at around 07:00.

The walk back out to Strathan is a really nice walk.

View at Finiskaig River:

Before reaching Upper Glendessary, on the way out, we parted company as Sheryl set off to also bag Sgurr Mor.

A fantastic walk, with spectacular views and scenery.

I was up Sgurr na Ciche just 18 months previous to this trip. It was another cracking day :D

Sgurr na Ciche, back in 2005:
foggieclimber

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland