walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Killin to St. fillans

Killin to St. fillans

Postby past my sell by date » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:01 pm

Date walked: 31/12/2019

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 631m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I've done most of this walk several times over, but not the whole thing. On a clear fine day, we had lunch at the Falls of Dochart inn and Donna then drove me to the start at the foot of the track that climbs up to Lochan Breaclaich. ThInking the ground by the lochan would be very boggy, I decided to leave the track early - which In retrospect was probably not the best. I'd printed out a paper map of the section as far as the big track in Glen Beich - but forgot to bring a compass :( . The trouble with moorland is often it looks like "The Universe" - the same in all directions :lol: :lol: . However I found my way to a 490m cairn on a fenceline and on due S to a second cairn whence I could see the track. Descending to it, I noted that crossing the river if it were in spate could be quite a problem, but once on the Landrover track I made good speed home. The track that runs down the W side of Glen Tarken is deteriorating, and if I repeated the walk I would head N and E of Creagh Dhubh and take the much better track on the other side of the glen
A better but longer walk would probably be to follow the Rob Roy Way well past the lochan and traverse both Meall Daimh (693m) and Creag Ruadh.
Sorry I didn't take any new pics
Edit
But I have found some pics of Glen Tarken - most looking up. towards Creagh Dhubh and roughly in descent order
Glen Tarken is a wild but not very picturesque glen: the glacier that gouged it out in the ice age was not powerful enough to create a lochan at ithe head: instead there is a "Moss" - mostly deep bog but with hard heathery lumps that I guess were drumlins. The track circles round the firm ground outside the Moss
5417.jpg

5415.jpg

5408.jpg

5406.jpg

5403.jpg

5400.jpg

5394.jpg

5391.jpg

5388.jpg

5385.jpg

5378.jpg

5372.jpg
Looking across Glen Tarken burn
5366.jpg

5357.jpg

5354.jpg

5351.jpg
Jerusalem
5342.jpg

5339.jpg
Heading downinto Glen Tarken woods
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Re: Killin to St. fillans

Postby past my sell by date » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:41 am

I did this walk again with friends about ten days ago , We drove to the lochan, followed the track beyond its high point and traversed diagonally down to the dam where the glen Tarken track starts. Time was 1.5 hours - so I think a lot quicker than myy original route
Beich.jpg
Map of route from dam
I couldn't resist two photos of the lone aspen just below the dam in its full autumn glory: but a km or so further down the glen a plantation has been started in an exclosure - so it won't be the sole tree in the glen for much longer :lol:
Aspen1.jpg

Aspen 2.jpg
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland