walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mizzly on Mealna Letter

Mizzly on Mealna Letter

Postby Alfachick » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:50 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Mealna Letter or Duchray Hill

Date walked: 04/01/2020

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 7.5 km

Ascent: 364m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As an effort to actually complete my new years resolution this year, re complete the Angus hills, I persuaded a few friends to join me on an extended dog walk up Mealna Letter on the border between Angus and Perthshire.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We parked the car at the entrance to the forrest track that we were going to use and set off around 1130. The boys and the dogs sped off straight away my friend and I huffing and puffing a bit at the back. Soon enough we were out of the woods and on the sides of the hill, there is no fence here although there is one marked on the 1:25,000 OS map.
This is where it got a bit harder going as the path petered out, we just kind of kept going up. We then came across the wall and fence combo that we would use to handrail our way all the way to the top of the hill.
By this point we were in the mist and slight mizzle that while on the way up was nice and cooling, but was just damp on the way back down.

IMG_5214.jpeg
Mizzle and cloud

We continued following the wall and fence combo up and along the ridge such as it is all the way to the top of the hill, at this point we could see the cairn off to the left and headed over. By the time my mate and I arrived the boys had already eaten their sandwiches and were complaining of being a bit cold and damp. Sadly due to the low cloud we didn't see any views at all from the top, which was a shame as it would have been nice to see the wee loch down the back.

Anyway pics taken of the dogs on the cairn and then straight back down to the car, MUCH faster on the way down than the way up. :roll:

IMG_5210.jpeg
Its VERY hard to get 4 unruly dogs to look the same way at the same time!

IMG_5216.jpeg
View down to Perthshire from halfway down

IMG_5235.jpeg
Trees heavy with pinecones - good for the squirrels

A boring small hill but an enjoyable day was had by all, especially the dogs as they are sleeping soundly in front of the Rayburn now. :lol:
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland