walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby Del246 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:47 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 30/01/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 974m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Set of for Ben Lomond this morning 30/01/2011 and arrived just as the sun was coming up.It didnt look to bad and the weather reports were quite promising......

start.JPG

It didnt last long !! About halfway a fresh dusting of snow had appeared and a lot of ice had formed on the path.

halfway.JPG

We soldiered on and it soon became a white out !!! Thick ice under foot and some fresh snow. The temperature dipped as well and was well below the -1 the met office web site had predicted. My eyebrows, eyelashes and camel back all froze !!!

Soon visibility was down to about 10 foot in parts ( reason for lack of pics ). I was determined to reach the summit as Ben Lomond had defeated me back in November due to a sudden change in weather.It was nice being the first ones to the summit today leaving all our footprints in the fresh snow for others to eventually follow !!

After 2.5 hours I reached the summit.

DSC00973.JPG

Sorry for the short report, the weather was just poor !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Lomond

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:58 pm

Ach well, at least you managed it this time and doubled your munro count....as well as not getting lost in the white out. Looks cold up there - well done. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:63   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby Del246 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:12 pm

Thanks Rockhopper. It was quite eerie at the summit. Got 2 outings lined up in the next week, so watch out I will soon be catching up with you lol
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby xpfloyd » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi Del, well done for bagging Ben Lomond. Is Ben Vorlich still on your list for next week ?

Eddie
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:104   

Postby Del246 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:26 am

I will need to wait a bit longer for that one. I don't have much spare time this week so it's a quick visit to do Tinto to stretch the legs. Next week I have a long standing arrangement to do Goat Fell on Arran with friends. I hope to do it soon afterwards.

Del
Del246
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland