walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Wonderful Wild (and Windy) Cape Wrath Hogmanay Adventure

A Wonderful Wild (and Windy) Cape Wrath Hogmanay Adventure

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:34 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Grianan (Parph), Beinn Dearg (Parph), Creag Riabhach

Date walked: 30/12/2019

Time taken: 13.47 hours

Distance: 42.56 km

Ascent: 1772m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Monday 30th December 2019 – Oldshoremore to Strathan Bothy
6.01km
79m ascent
1 hour 47 minutes

We’d had a busy Christmas with trips down south to both sets of parents so we had decided that Hogmanay was for us, and like last year we wanted to spend it in a bothy. Several ideas were tossed around until I suggested a trek around Cape Wrath. This was an idea that was stupid enough to whet Malky’s appetite :lol:

Waiting for the showers to pass through we had a pleasant drive, stopping off at a few favourite spots on the way – Arkle….

…before driving up to the Kyle of Durness to leave our bikes for two days time (where a particularly viscious shower let rip as Malky was tying them up :lol: ), and then a quick visit to Oldshoremore Beach to eat our sandwiches

We found a parking spot near the end of the track to Strathan Bothy. There were a couple of other cars parked there including two others frantically packing bags – we would have company tonight!

For once we were actually packed and ready, so we shouldered our packs and off we went, making sure that Malky had both bike and car keys in his pocket :roll: :lol:

Anyone for an al fresco bath?! :shock:

Looking back towards Handa – some wonderful sky

It was an excellent track to begin with and despite the strong winds, we were making good progress as it was coming from behind us!

Loch Aisir Mor

We met two guys coming the other way around here – they and 2 others were staying at the bothy and had been sent out for supplies :lol:

We were hit by a couple of showers – they we pretty brutal but fortunately over very quickly :lol: The section along Loch Mor a’ Chraisg was awkward as the wind was hitting us from the side and the path had got very squelchy underfoot :roll:

An Grianan ahead

Once past the lochs we were dropping downhill – mercifully a little out of the wind, and we were able to see down the glen to the Sandwood Loch

As we dropped towards the bridge we saw another group of 4 approaching the bothy – it was going to be a busy one!

Safely across the very wobbly bridge we were a few very wet metres from the bothy, and finally being able to down our heavy packs!

By the time we arrived the sky was making pretty colours

Malky got the fire going (first time for everything!!) and everyone crowded in for a great night – although we were travelling light the others had carried in a lot so we were treated to a cheeseboard, several bottles of whisky and even live music as one of the guys had a fiddle :lol:

Popping out later there was an incredible sky full of stars

The ceilidh was still in full swing when we hit the hay as we had a long day coming up…. :shock:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday 31st December 2019 – Strathan to Kearvaig
17.68km
1066m ascent
7 hours

All was silent in the bothy the next morning when we got up. We made breakfast and snuck out as quietly as possible – there would be plenty of sore heads once the others were up :lol:

We climbed straight up the hill behind the bothy – it was steep going and our legs certainly hadn’t woken up yet :lol:

As we gained a bit of height we could see down to Sandwood Loch – one of the guys from the bothy had carried in a kite surf to use there 8)

We carried on up – although there had been a fair amount of rain the ground wasn’t awful – my memories of Cape Wrath almost made me pack my wellies instead of boots :lol:

Looking towards what we thought was Foinaven in the distance and what could possibly have been a bit of nacreous cloud?

An Grianan looked to be one of the most striking hills in the area – plenty of tors everywhere as we headed for the ridge

Quinag and other Assynt hills

Sandwood Loch

The day really getting started with some awesome sky above Foinaven

Now on the ridge it was an easy walk to the summit – the ground was decent and the wind was sort of in the right direction (but definitely strong!!)
Image[

Looking back to Foinaven and Arkle 8)

Summit ahoy!

An Grianan has an impressive cliff off the side and some awesome views 8)

Loch a’ Phuill Bhuidhe

The photos don’t really show the wind – and it was pretty mental on the summit so we carried on, dropping down the slightly less steep shoulder before cutting under the summit tor – Tor Blimey!

Malky despairing at my terrible jokes – in my defence I thought it got funnier the more I said it :lol:

Malky had an idea of dumping bags and out and backing our next hill but I suggested a traverse would be easier. We walked around the lochan – a relatively easy river crossing saw us heading up the easy slopes of Creag Riabach (we won’t mention the peat hags :roll: )

Looking back to the Stac-Pollaidh-esque tor of An Grianan (tor blimey!)

The sun really made an appearance here – although it was still mad windy we were able to enjoy the incredible colours as we climbed

Soon the gradient eased and we had an easy stroll to the summit. We had views of the impressive looking Fashven – this would have been a possible hill for today if 1. The wind had been less brutal 2. My knee hadn’t been niggling 3. We actually had more than 6 hours of daylight and most importantly 4. Malky hadn’t been so desperate to bag Beinn Dearg instead as it hadn’t been a Marilyn last time he was here :roll:

Faraid Head – I wished I’d brought the big lens (but also glad I hadn’t as I had quite enough weight to carry :lol:

Not visible from the side we came up, Creag Riabach has an impressive wall of cliffs which is starting to become apparent here….

It was incredibly windy here and even climbing up to the trig point was a move requiring many points of contact :lol:

Sandwood Bay

Fashven

Summit of Creag Riabach

We didn’t hang around too long but the sun did come out over Sandwood as we dropped off the summit

Strathcailleach (the haunted bothy) just visible

Looking back to An Grianan (tor blimey!)

The descent from Creag Riabach was horrible – some really steep ground which was awkward with big packs and dodgy knees, and the wind really wasn’t helping! Some cool features though…

Finally down the worst of it – looking back to the impressive cliffs of Creag Riabach

I was freezing so we found a relatively sheltered spot to add more layers, and seeing as it now felt like sort of lunchtime we cracked out the pork pies too!

Our next target – Beinn Dearg – which didn’t look too tricky

Creag Riabach – looks like a fortress!

Actually the hardest bit of Beinn Dearg was getting through the gate, as it was sitting across a humungous pile of deep mud :lol: But once across that peril it was relatively easy going, and excellent views back to Creag Riabach 8)

Looking down the glen to what could be Meall Meadhonach where we were in the summer (twice :roll: )

Creag Riabach again 8)

As we gained height we spotted Ben Loyal peeking out 8)

Creag Riabach and An Grianan (tor blimey!)

The summit of Beinn Dearg reminded us of Father Ted’s field of rocks but the views were awesome – we could see down to Am Buachaille by Sandwood Bay

Beinn Dearg summit

Field of Rocks and Fashven (definitely not happening today :lol: )

Cranky pants – he’s used to having the most powerful wind :lol:

Looking back – Creag Riabach & An Grianan…(wait for it….)

It definitely wasn’t a spot for hanging around today so beat a hasty retreat across Donald Trump’s Hair Factory taking care to spit on every last tussock…

Before…..what fresh hell is this!!! :shock:

Loch Keisgaig

We worked out what we thought was probably the least worst route through the bog and headed down – there were some awkward sections and one nasty bit down the side of a waterfall but at last we were on the flat

It looked a very long way :shock:

Fashven – hill for another day!

Sgribhis-bheinn – sort of above the bothy

After a lot of tramping through ground that wasn’t as bad as we’d imagined we were finally at the danger line!

Malky crossing the danger line

Although our destination didn’t appear to be getting any closer we did at least feel like we were getting somewhere when we looked back!

Malky leading the way :shock:

Getting to the business end of things

The sides of the burn started to get steep and annoying so Malky suggested cutting over a wee rise straight down to the road – although my legs didn’t agree with this it was a good idea as the ground improved (obviously Malky was just wanting to follow the sheep that were also heading that way :roll: )

At last we were at the road!!!!

And we’d missed our lift :lol: :lol:

We decided to cut off a bit of distance by heading cross country to the bothy – I’d been all for taking the road to save my knee but really couldn’t face the extra distance :lol: The sky was pretty impressive as we battered our way through heather :roll:

Kearvaig bay!

The bothy finally in sight

Cape Wrath

The waves were pretty impressive :lol:

There were 4 others at the bothy who arrived back from a wander to the Cape shortly after us. Kearvaig is huge so there was plenty of space for all. We were able to chill out, get some dinner on and relax in front of the fire. We went looking for the famous Kearvaig glitter ball and were gutted to discover it had met a sad end – there was a small piece hanging in the little room as a reminder of better days!

We felt ourselves flagging but stayed awake to go outside to toast the Bells (which we had to imagine as there was no signal :lol: ) – it was windy but a beautiful clear night and we even managed to see a faint aurora flickering away in the north. A wonderful start to the new year 8)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wednesday 1st January 2020 – Kearvaig to Kyle of Durness
18.87km
627m ascent
5 hours

Kearvaig is a pretty impressive place to wake up in any weather, and definitely a special place to be on 1st January. We had a slightly more relaxed start than the day before and enjoyed a cup of tea and some porridge – mine had only one raisin :shock:

It was insanely windy and the waves were pretty impressive

It turned out we had broken some of the bothy rules, although the “no unrestricted submarine warfare” was probably safe :lol:

We were away just before 9.30 – the others had about a 20 minute start on us. Even walking up the track was windy :shock:

What a location!

Reaching the “main road” and the minibus graveyard :lol:

Now we were out on the moorland and the wind was insane – it wasn’t good chatting weather at all (didn’t stop me from trying :lol: ) and even walking was difficult :shock: We were not looking forward to our 16 mile cycling into the wind :lol:

Looking back – Cape Wrath just visible

And a Happy New Year to you too…. :lol:

Although there were some ominous looking clouds we only got the odd spots of rain – fortunately nothing to worry about

We had considered popping up Sgribhis-bheinn on the way out but given the wind that idea was abandoned and we plodded slowly on towards Inshore

Loch Inshore

Inshore lodge – we had hoped it would give enough shelter for a pee but the wind seemed to be coming from all directions :lol:

After much more slow plodding we reached Daill where we found enough shelter to stop for a quick bite (and a pee :lol: )

We were now walking along the Kyle of Durness – absolutely stunning but very windy and very long :lol:

A very shaky panorama

Faraid Head

It was actually more impressive than the photos suggest, despite being a bit grey

We saw the others at various stages of the route – they seemed to be getting ahead then slowing down, we figured we’d probably bump into them at some point!

We did consider waiting here 3 months for the ferry but Malky reckoned he’d get hungry :lol: Just before leaving the road we stopped for another quick bite and for me to add my gaiters – we were off piste for the next 4-5 miles :shock:

We climbed up the steep path up the shoulder of Beinn an Amair – if it had been less windy we would have gone to the top but for today this was enough 8)

Whiten Head – the other side of Loch Eriboll

Straight down the Kyle

Beinn Spionnaidh

We had thought to remain as high as possible across most of this ground, expecting it to be pathless so we were extra pleased that the path seemed to continue – it led us pretty easily across the moorland.

The sun hitting the cliffs at Whiten Head

The end of the Kyle – such a long way away :lol:

Looking back

We could see the others – they had picked a much lower route and seemed to be having a harder time of it

Choppy in the water

River crossing!

The path became indistinct at times but we managed to follow it pretty much all the way to the bridge

We were across! From here I thought it was only a few minutes but after a map check I’d managed to block a couple of km from my mind :lol:

There were bits of track to follow initially before we decided to cut over the hill rather than walking around it, which seemed like a great idea until we encountered peat hags :roll:

Looking back we could see the others at the bridge – they weren’t far behind us

Finally over the hill we dropped onto a grassy track which led us to the farm – the bridge was in sight!

Looking back down the Kyle

As we approached the farm we were “welcomed” by an army of dogs so we were very pleased to cross the bridge and reach the bikes!

Here we did a bit of rearranging before deciding we needed to get on with it – as we were setting off we met a lady in a landrover who had come to pick up the others. We told her that they weren’t far behind. She offered to take our packs for us and we almost accepted but wandered if they might be good for balance in the crazy winds. She offered to stop for them on her way past and off we went.

Jaxter doesn’t like 60mph winds!!

I’m pretty sure I’ll never complain about wind when cycling again after this – it was so strong that when the gusts hit us we had to stop so we didn’t fall off. I was probably having a worse time of it than Malky being slightly lighter but a gust nearly had him in the ditch too :lol:

It was probably quite comical as we zigzagged our way up the road trying (and often failing) to stay on the bikes but when the landrover lady and another car stopped and offered us a lift we were in the car before they’d finished asking :lol: We had managed the hardest 5km ever and it had taken us 45 minutes :lol:

Back at the car we thanked our bothy pals and their lifts profusely before driving back up towards Durness to rescue the bikes which had been unceremoniously dumped :lol: We were back in Inverness around 6.30 – had we had to cycle the whole way it probably would have been midnight and I doubt we’d still be on speaking terms :lol:

Absolute belter of a trip though – and can’t think of a better way to see in the New Year 8)

Cape Wrath Hogmanay.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attempted cycle.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: A Wonderful Wild (and Windy) Cape Wrath Hogmanay Adventu

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:26 pm

Great stuff guys, I'm very envious. Just one thing - I'm surprised you never nipped up Foinaven before heading home.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby LoveWalking » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:21 pm

Excellent report, what an amazing way to start the New Year :D
LoveWalking
Wanderer

Munros:40   Corbetts:12
Fionas:6   Donalds:8+4
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:11   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:02 pm

I would expect no less from you two. Happy New Year to you both!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Collaciotach » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:04 am

'S math sin agus abair sgeulachd ... smashing tale :clap:

Bliadhna mhath ùra dhuibh ...and a Happy New Year to you both
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:08 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Great stuff guys, I'm very envious. Just one thing - I'm surprised you never nipped up Foinaven before heading home.
All the best :D

Ach I'm sorry, we're slacking. Blame Malky and his old age :wink:

LoveWalking wrote:Excellent report, what an amazing way to start the New Year :D

Thankyou - I happen to agree - cannae beat being in the middle of nowhere 8)

Mal Grey wrote:I would expect no less from you two. Happy New Year to you both!

Thanks Mal - happy to satisfy :lol: :lol:

Collaciotach wrote:'S math sin agus abair sgeulachd ... smashing tale :clap:

Bliadhna mhath ùra dhuibh ...and a Happy New Year to you both

Cheers pal 8)
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland