walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Eagle, a pointless Marilyn (and a lot of cake)

Mount Eagle, a pointless Marilyn (and a lot of cake)

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:26 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mount Eagle

Date walked: 03/01/2020

Time taken: 25 hours

Distance: 0.8 km

Ascent: 4m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not very much walking, but a lot of cycling - 76km, 810m ascent & 5 hours

On our way north for our Cape Wrath adventure we drank far too much tea before leaving and had to stop waaay sooner than we'd like to admit to pee - the stop of choice was the Storehouse of Foulis which I had never heard of but Malky assured me was a good place to go for lunch. So once we were back I suggested making it into a cycle trip - the weather looked decent on Friday, so why not?!

We set off from Inverness way later than we had planned as we waited out a rain shower so it was just after 11 when we set off - easy cycling got us up over the hill and we could see across to Beinn Wyvis where there was some fresh snow on the tops!
ImageFresh snow on Wyvis

We reached Dingwall and we had a high choice and a low choice - I figured Malky was trying to bluff me into wussing out of the hill, so I got my own back and took us uphill :lol: It was worth it though, because the views were good
ImageCromarty Bridge ahead

ImageLooking back to Dingwall

From the high road we dropped steeply down a track and across a level crossing
ImageLevel crossing!

At the Storehouse we enjoyed a wonderful lunch and way more cake than we needed (but we ate it anyway :lol: )
ImageFar more food than required!

We had about a mile along the A9 before reaching the bridge and hopping onto the pavement - it was pretty windy but not as bad as the Kessock Bridge earlier, and at least we were able to move in a straight line unlike on our way back from Durness :lol:
ImageWindy on the Cromarty Bridge

ImageEvening light on Cromarty Firth

We climbed up the hill towards Culbokie - I was definitely feeling too full of cake which wasn't really helping :lol: A wee bit further up the hill we passed the radio mast and turned off down a forest track
ImageOff-roading

At the small masts we dumped the bikes and bashed through some dense forestry for a while - I was glad that I'd left my helmet on as Malky was getting attacked by branches :lol:

Finally the trip point was in sight - unfortunately it was surrounded by gorse. I let Malky go first in his shorts :lol:
ImageThis is going to hurt....

What a ridiculous summit :lol:
ImageMount Eagle

ImageSummit views....

ImageGorse we have to go back through

ImageMalky looks thrilled

Back into the forest we got a bit confused and ended up going in the wrong direction for a while - it all felt very adventurous :lol:
ImageLooks like an assault course

Back at the bikes it was time for lights as we made our way back down the forest tracks and onto the road
ImageRadio mast - time for lights

It was a bit chilly now it was dark and we got moving - a big hill out of Munlochy got us warmed up eventually and the run down to Inverness was largely downhill from there.
ImageKessock Bridge

The last 5km up the hill to the house were into the wind and I was really not in the mood, but soon enough we were back, the kettle was on and we were almost ready for some more food.... :lol:
Attachments

Mount Eagle cycle.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Mount Eagle, a pointless Marilyn (and a lot of cake)

Postby gld73 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:24 pm

My god, why on earth would you want to spoil a perfectly nice day of cycling and cake with a detour to the Mount Eagle summit trig?!? ... :lol:
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby malky_c » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 pm

gld73 wrote:My god, why on earth would you want to spoil a perfectly nice day of cycling and cake with a detour to the Mount Eagle summit trig?!? ... :lol:

The worst bit is that I've been up there before :roll: :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby PeteR » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:49 pm

Some say there's no such thing as a bad hill........ they've clearly never been to Mount Eagle then :lol:

Such a grand name for such a gorse covered b*gger.......And I certainly wouldn't head for the summit in shorts either :lol: :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jaxter » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:45 pm

gld73 wrote:My god, why on earth would you want to spoil a perfectly nice day of cycling and cake with a detour to the Mount Eagle summit trig?!? ... :lol:

That's what I was thinking the whole time :lol: :lol: :lol:

PeteR wrote:Some say there's no such thing as a bad hill........ they've clearly never been to Mount Eagle then :lol:

Such a grand name for such a gorse covered b*gger.......And I certainly wouldn't head for the summit in shorts either :lol: :shock:

I definitely had the upper hand when we got to the gorse, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't laughing at him :roll: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

OK, I give in. I'm going to stop trying to understand the term "Why the...?" :lol:

(Actually I heartily approve of such madness, as its arguably still saner than carrying a canoe across the moors of Assynt).
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sgurr » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:48 pm

Obviously a very tricky bike route. We met a lady waiting near Mount Eagle for husband to discover he had taken the car keys, as she was supposed to pick him up on the way back to Alness. We left her with some cereal bars just in case, and drove after him for her, but he had vanished. The gorse was quite tolerable then.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Jaxter » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:20 am

Mal Grey wrote:OK, I give in. I'm going to stop trying to understand the term "Why the...?" :lol:

(Actually I heartily approve of such madness, as its arguably still saner than carrying a canoe across the moors of Assynt).

:lol: :lol: Until I saw the second half of your comment I was going to suggest that you've done equally daft things :lol: :lol:

Sgurr wrote:Obviously a very tricky bike route. We met a lady waiting near Mount Eagle for husband to discover he had taken the car keys, as she was supposed to pick him up on the way back to Alness. We left her with some cereal bars just in case, and drove after him for her, but he had vanished. The gorse was quite tolerable then.

Oh no :shock: I always have a bit of a thing for keys, having heard so many horror stories :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland