walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Why everyone should climb Meall Mor of Rannoch Moor

Why everyone should climb Meall Mor of Rannoch Moor

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:13 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mòr (Rannoch Moor)

Date walked: 15/11/2019

Time taken: 0.54 hours

Distance: 2.96 km

Ascent: 201m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Meall-Mor.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

With Iain and I heading up to Kintail to join MountainThyme and friends for a Corbett Compleation, we decided it would be a shame to drive all the way up there and not take advantage of the chance to climb a warm-up hill en route.

With a big day and early start ahead of us the following morning we decided it would be best to keep a lid on it and do something fairly easy. I had been wanting to visit Meall Mor of Rannoch Moor for a while now since it ticks all of the boxes for a quick hill-pit-stop on the way up north (or south) and as it was tiny and would only take an hour up and down Iain happily agreed with this choice as he was still recovering from an ankle injury and didn't want to aggravate it.

Preferring a loop than an out and back we parked at the small lay-by at the 313m mark on the OS map and started heading across the tussocks towards Meall Mor. Luckily the ground wasn't too bad and a fair few quad tracks would come in and out of view:
ImageMeall Mor (2) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On our left was Glas Bheinn, neighbouring Sub2000 Marilyn and one you can easily add to this walk:
ImageMeall Mor (3) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Over at the mast and building is a track that we planned on returning down then finishing with a short walk along the road. Glen Orchy hills in the distance:
ImageMeall Mor (4) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A cloud topped Beinn an Dothaidh:
ImageMeall Mor (5) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Making our way along a faint track and deciding on our route of ascent. We would follow the line just above Iain's head going diagonally up to the middle of the photo:
ImageMeall Mor (7) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Lochan na h-Achlaise and Loch Ba coming into view:
ImageMeall Mor (8) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The view south towards Bridge of Orchy:
ImageMeall Mor (9) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A quick and easy hike:
ImageMeall Mor (10) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Our route up with Beinn Achaladair and Beinn a' Chreachain in the background:
ImageMeall Mor (12) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It gets rocky quite quickly:
ImageMeall Mor (14) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Rannoch Moor lochs again:
ImageMeall Mor (16) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Our route up and down and the long ridge summit of Glas Bheinn:
ImageMeall Mor (17) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The sun was trying hard to break through over Loch Tulla:
ImageMeall Mor (19) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We soon reach cairn one which is not the summit:
ImageMeall Mor (21) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Although the view of Am Monadh Dubh, Stob a' Choire Odhair and more is stunning:
ImageMeall Mor (24) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Cruachan way out west:
ImageMeall Mor (25) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

There's the summit:
ImageMeall Mor (26) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Iain heading over captured in video - https://flic.kr/p/2hMo1TR

Clach Leathad and Meall a' Bhuiridh cloud covered:
ImageMeall Mor (27) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Iain and Coireach a' Ba:
ImageMeall Mor (29) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The Black Mount Munros and ridges, Meall Mor is a quality viewpoint for them and Rannoch Moor:
ImageMeall Mor (32) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking north and the Memorial Cairn that we never visited:
ImageMeall Mor (35) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageMeall Mor (36) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking east from the summit:
ImageMeall Mor (38) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I really should get myself up these Munros at some point:
ImageMeall Mor (40) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Tulla, Ben Invereigh, Meall Tairbh and Ben Lui trying to peek out:
ImageMeall Mor (41) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South west towards Glen Strae, Beinn Mhic-Mhonaidh sticking out in the middle:
ImageMeall Mor (42) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Eunaich, Ben Cruachan and co. behind Beinn Suidhe:
ImageMeall Mor (43) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We've had our fill of views and the cold breeze by now and decide to head back down. Iain at the non-summit cairn looking over to the Great Wall of Rannoch Moor:
ImageMeall Mor (45) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I quite fancied adding in Meall Beag but conscious of time and Iain's ankle decided to leave it for another day. Clach Leathad, Meall a' Bhuiridh and Creag an Fhirich were looking good behind it:
ImageMeall Mor (47) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Clach Leathad:
ImageMeall Mor (48) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Iain and I set off downhill towards the mast and road:
ImageMeall Mor (49) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking back at our route down, we soon found the track:
ImageMeall Mor (51) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Past the mast we were soon at the road and it was just a quick walk back to the van. Looking back at Meall Mor, another brilliant wee Sub2000 hill with great views and a very easy walk:
ImageMeall Mor (52) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Warm-up walk done we then had an enjoyable drive north and were the first to arrive at Ratagan as others like Derek were busy spending their day climbing bigger hills. We were more than happy with our choice however, both agreeing that Meall Mor is another cracking little hill that is well worth exploring as you drive through Rannoch Moor. Most people probably won't bother, enticed by the bigger hills all around, but if you do it's well worth it and will only take you an hour or less.
Last edited by Chris Mac on Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: Why everyone should climb Meall Mor of Rannoch Moor

Postby Raynor » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:46 pm

54.3 hours. You need to finger the finger out :lol:

I love that area. Some cracking views for such a wee hill. I do a lot of fishing around there. Loch Buidhe is a great place for a wild camp :thumbup:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:12 pm

Raynor wrote:54.3 hours. You need to finger the finger out :lol:

I love that area. Some cracking views for such a wee hill. I do a lot of fishing around there. Loch Buidhe is a great place for a wild camp :thumbup:

Haha under an hour of course means 54 minutes, now amended, thanks for noticing! It is something that has always bugged me how time is recorded for walk reports, I wish it could be improved.

Yeah it's a great area with so much to explore, fishing up there must be very enjoyable along with the camping. Years ago a group of us camped along from Inveroran for a Stag Do - brilliant fun although the walk over the hillside to Bridge of Orchy to watch the Champions League final didn't go down well with everyone but the Duck Derby certainly did. :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby PeteR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:38 pm

You certainly don't have to climb the biggest hills in order to enjoy some superb views and this one certainly goes to prove that. If you can survive the bog its sub 2000 friend over the road is also a good little outing on a trip north (or south)
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Raynor » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Chris Mac wrote:Yeah it's a great area with so much to explore, fishing up there must be very enjoyable along with the camping. Years ago a group of us camped along from Inveroran for a Stag Do - brilliant fun although the walk over the hillside to Bridge of Orchy to watch the Champions League final didn't go down well with everyone but the Duck Derby certainly did. :D

I camped at Inveroran when I was doing the West Highland Way. The midges were unbelievable being late summer. I was ok as I had a head net but my friend wasn't so unlucky. He was nearly in tears running back from the hotel bar to the tent, screaming and literally punching himself in the face :lol: He also had a rip on his tent and when he woke up in the morning was whole face was horrific with midge bites. No idea how he slept through that. I on the other hand nearly froze to death as all I had was a very cheap argos sleeping bag and it get pretty damn cold :shock:
Raynor

Munros:110   Corbetts:8
Fionas:7   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:4

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland