walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bothy Feast and a shocking lack of apostrophes

Bothy Feast and a shocking lack of apostrophes

Postby Jaxter » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:13 pm

Route description: Cook's Cairn and Corryhabbie Hill from Allanreid

Corbetts included on this walk: Corryhabbie Hill

Fionas included on this walk: Cook's Cairn

Date walked: 04/01/2020

Time taken: 6.55 hours

Distance: 26.91 km

Ascent: 903m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After an adventurous Hogmanay our next trip was to be a little easier. A bothy night away with David with a couple of hills the next day if we could be bothered. We were running late so David went up The Bochel without us, but then we waited around for anoter 20-30 minutes while he repacked his bag :lol:

Then, about 30 seconds down the track he had to stop and do it all again :roll: :lol:
ImageDavid re-re-repacking his bag

We had time for stupid photos…
ImageBoooored

What we had missed out on – maybe one for tomorrow?
ImageThe Bochel

It was still plenty light to see but as we were a lot later than planned there was some nice evening light in the sky
ImageInteresting light

The boys carrying 20kg of coal between them
ImageToo much coal?

There’s a lot more walking around here than I’d imagined!
ImageSmugglers Trail

Looking ahead
ImageAhead - Cook's Cairn in the distance

And then we were there 8)
ImageHome for the night

A light at the window – we were definitely in the right place then! Our company for the night had been there for a couple of days (we think, although their recollection was a little hazy) but they were entertaining for the night, as was David’s disastrous Polish soup (should probably have translated the instructions), his M&S Prawn selection box (reduced, but didn’t give us food poisoning) and his rib-eye steak, cooked to perfection in real butter that he’d carried in. Time to raise our game :lol: But we did have an appropriate malt for the night - a Glenlivet of course!

The following morning dawned bright and we decided that hills would be a good idea 8)
ImageGood morning!

David cooked bacon for breakfast (fortunately he had some spare for us to nibble on :lol: ) before the spade got taken for a few strolls.
ImageHaving a look around in the daylight

We left the bags at the bothy – we would be coming past on the way back anyway, and headed off across a very boggy field towards the track we’d come in on
ImageLooking back across the bog

This soon brought us to a big old house – looked to be largely in decent shape although it would take a bit of doing up :lol:
ImageRuins at Suie

Farmer David
ImageDavid trying to plough

The next ruins really were ruins and looked like the next gust of wind would bring the roof down :lol:
ImageLooking back

ImageBen Avon

We took the right fork where the path split – we would return on the other one. This path led us uphill, relatively gradually at first, towards the wind farm and Cook’s Cairn
ImageCook's Cairn and a metal tree

David is a pedant of the worst order and became so upset at this sign that he attempted to scratch an apostrophe into the correct place :lol:
ImageThis way then

Now we were up higher the light in the east was pretty good, despite the wind farm!
ImageWind Farm at Dorenell

ImageLooking East

It was an easy stroll the rest of the way to Cook’s Cairn, and despite its lack of apostrophe it was a nice spot 8)
ImageCook's Cairn summit

Depending on conditions and injuries we were hoping to head here next…
ImageCorryhabbie Hill & Ben Rinnes

It’s windy but smile anyway :shock: :lol:
ImageSmile....

From here we dropped straight down to the track – initially the ground wasn’t too bad but got worse and worse and the last bit was awful. Probably enough off-piste for the day as the knee was playing silly buggers :roll:

From here we had a quick pause for some scran before heading up the easy zig-zags up Corryhabbie
ImageLooking down the glen from the ascent of Corryhabbie

ImageMalky and his big man legs leading the way

It was an easy walk to the top and the views were good – far less sun than my last visit but decent enough 8)
ImageBen Rinnes

ImageCorryhabbie Hill summit

ImageCloud sitting on the Gorms

ImagePhone party and a weird metal thing

ImageMounting the big metal thing

David had to catch up on his online dating messages but soon we managed to tempt him down as it was freezing up there!! I was all for taking the zigzags back down to avoid aggravating my knee on any more off-piste but the boys decided that they couldn’t be arsed :roll:
ImageHeading down

ImageHeather...

The ground wasn’t as bad as the descent from Cook’s Cairn but it was still horrible so I was very relieved to reach the track
ImageA beautiful afternoon back on the track

ImageLooking back to Corryhabbie

We had been warned about a couple of awkward river crossings but they were actually both easy, even for me! Apparently there’s a big one with a thin plank across it, but we never worked out where that one was :crazy:
ImageA very shapely hill...

ImageLong ways to go...

We got back to the bothy at about 1.30; our companions from the night before were up and awake and preparing to leave. We grabbed our packs and got on our way
ImageDavid mounts the bridge

ImageLeading the way

The sun was out and it was a beautiful afternoon 8)
ImageLooking back

At this point we were still toying with the idea of going up The Bochel
ImageThe Bochel ahead

ImageCollecting water or panning for gold?

But long before we reached the car we decided we’d had enough – the big bags and the wind had tired us out and we were looking forward to going home and having a bath!
ImageBeautiful sky on the way home

Corryhabbie and Cooks Cairn.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: Bothy Feast and a shocking lack of apostrophes

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:03 am

Looks like a great time was had by all.

I'm a bit worried about my deteriorating eyesight, though: I could sweat I saw a pic of Malky in long trousers :shock: :shock: :shock:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby PeteR » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:35 pm

There are many reasons why humanity is doomed.......and the appalling deterioration in grammar is certainly one of them........we'll all be posting walk reports reports in text speak soon, at which point I'll just pack it in and find a cave to live in :lol:

I almost did Corryhabbie and Cook's Cairn myself at the weekend, but suffered a bout of "couldn't be a*rsed travelling", so it will have to remain for another day
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jaxter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:32 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Looks like a great time was had by all.

I'm a bit worried about my deteriorating eyesight, though: I could sweat I saw a pic of Malky in long trousers :shock: :shock: :shock:

Aye he's turning into a big wuss in his old age :lol: :wink:

PeteR wrote:There are many reasons why humanity is doomed.......and the appalling deterioration in grammar is certainly one of them........we'll all be posting walk reports reports in text speak soon, at which point I'll just pack it in and find a cave to live in :lol:

I almost did Corryhabbie and Cook's Cairn myself at the weekend, but suffered a bout of "couldn't be a*rsed travelling", so it will have to remain for another day

You and David would get on excellently :lol: Although I do agree, it drives me nuts too :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:139
Fionas:90   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland