walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glas Bheinn

Glas Bheinn

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:50 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Glas Bheinn (Assynt)

Date walked: 29/01/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 550m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It may be surprising that we managed to visit Assynt twice in one week :) After Stac Pollaidh on Thursday, we came back two days later to explore the vast emptiness of Sutherland a wee bit more... This time we picked a relatively easy hill - Glas Bheinn.
SMC Hillwakers Guide to Corbetts describes this mountain as "rather neglected" due to the neighbourhood of such grand peaks as Quinag, Suilven and Ben More Assynt. Maybe there is some truth to it or maybe we were just lucky that day, to be alone on the hill.
As it is a short route, Glas Bheinn can be perfect for a quick wintry day out (assuming that there is snow to make it a walk in winter conditions :) ) or a good one for beginners - including mountain-mad cats. When we drove up A984, the mountain looked a little boring, but later it turned out that it was hiding the best for last :o

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There are three parking areas along the road. I imagine these car parks are fully-packed in the summer as it is also a starting point for Quinag route, but as we arrived there was nobody in sight.
Views are fine even from the lower ground. West to the car park, the rocky slopes of Quinag. To the north, Loch Glencoul. Nice, nice :) The first bite of the cake tasted really good.
glas bheinn 002.JPG
Quinag from the car park

We started along the road but soon we turned to a wet path that circles the western slopes of the mountain. I was glad I remembered to wear my waterproof boots and gaters! The path went slightly upwards, but at some point we came to a conclusion that it didn't really matter which side of the hill we tackle - it looked just as steep everywhere :? . So we left the path and headed straight towards the slope. A small herd of deer watched us from above, probably wondering, what are those silly people doing :lol:
glas bheinn 014.JPG
Local inhabitants

In dry wether it is easy to simply climb up the moss and grass. Unfortunately, we had a great choice to do that and risk slipping on a very wet vegetation, or to walk up the scree - two steps up, one step down. All in all, lots of fun and games! :D :D
20110129135545_0003.jpg
Fun and games ;)

The steep section of the climb is only about 300m in ascent, but it felt more like 3000 :lol: :lol: Once on the ridge, the rest of the walk is a formality. And only from the summit plateau one can appreciate the real beauty of Glas Bheinn.
glas bheinn 018.JPG
The ridge of Glas Bheinn

glas bheinn 050.JPG
Loch a Choire Dheirg on the northern slopes of Glas Bheinn

glas bheinn 053.JPG
Quinag in its full glory :)

glas bheinn 042.JPG
A familiar shape in the distance...

The summit plateau was quite icy, but we just about managed without crampons. We hopped on top of some boulders, which again was tricky in icy conditions. Finally we reached the top and sat by the cairn, facing south and enjoying the views. It all felt so great but something was wrong and only after some time I realised what - there was NO wind! Not even a breeze. How often does that happen on a mountain top? :D
glas bheinn 078.JPG
A few steps away from the top

20110129150927_0001.jpg
The summit cairn

Although the day was turning grey we still took some photos of surrounding hills.
glas bheinn 071.JPG
Suilvan and Canisp

glas bheinn 093.JPG
Conival and Ben More Assynt

glas bheinn 099.JPG
Arkle and Foinaven in the far distance

glas bheinn 107.JPG
Sadly, it's time to go...

Eventually, we had to say good-bye to the enchanting landscape of Assynt. We headed downhill, carefully picking our way down the slippery slopes. We managed to walk back to the car without getting wet and without bruises on our backsides, and that itself was a great achievement :lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:49   

Re: Glas Bheinn

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:31 pm

Enjoyed that - nice read.

I also had no wind on the summit of Beinn Dorain at the weekend - plus the sun shone :D

Well thats another hill i'll have to do when in Ullapool end of May :D 8)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Alastair S » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 pm

Fantastic - its such a wonderful area that if you get decent weather you're in for a treat.

I can believe you about the wind because before I saw your report I came across this wonderful photo of Loch Assynt taken the same day:
Ardvreck Castle and Loch Assynt Symmetry by Margaret J Walker, on Flickr
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby kinley » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:38 pm

8) Cracking stuff! That's a great day for it.

Quinag looks as beautiful as ever :D

Never been up this way in winter - jealous :)
kinley

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:146   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:39   

Postby kevsbald » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Lovely photos. Hopefully we still have a few more crisp days ahead.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:119
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland