walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Rinnes

Ben Rinnes

Postby Alfachick » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:16 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes ascent

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 27/10/2019

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 7.7 km

Ascent: 526m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well we werent really breaking any new exciting ground with this walk but it was still a lovely, albeit busy, walk up a great view point for all of Moray.

After striking camp and having breakfast in the morning we packed the car up and headed for the car park at the base of Ben Rinnes. We joined the other cars, lucky to get a space, saddled up and off we set up the usual route. I have a suspicion that there would be a really good circular route to be done starting off from the distillery but that will have to wait for another day.

I don't have much to add to what has already been written about this walk. Although it did confirm my suspicions that I am quite unfit!

IMG_4464.jpeg
Looking at todays objective

A9B31E25-7E72-4D55-8A6E-1FDC9A7874AD.jpeg
My friend and Brutus on yet another trig!

IMG_4421.jpeg
Looking over Moray

IMG_4458.jpeg
The dogs looking up the hill from halfway down

IMG_4458.jpeg
The dogs looking up the hill from halfway down

IMG_4465.jpeg
Looking over to the Convals

I can see why this is such a popular hill, it is a wonderful viewpoint for all of Moray and the edges of the Caringorms. Sadly it was literally freezing and extreemely windy when we arrived at the top so not a great deal of time was spent enjoying the view. We hunkered down in one of the crevices of the tor and gobbled down our lunch sandwiches and then set off for warmer climes further down the hill.

Overall a great wee hill and walk. My friend was a little disappointed that we didnt manage anything more epic on our exped but judging by how flipping cold it was on the top of Ben Rinnes I am extremely glad that we went for our plan B. Hopefully next years exped will be more exciting!
Attachments
IMG_4438.jpeg
More views over Moray
Alfachick
Bird-watcher

Munros:39   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:35   
Wainwrights:2   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland