walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What are you doing in my quarry?

What are you doing in my quarry?

Postby Jaxter » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:08 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Meall Mòr (Moy)

Date walked: 08/01/2020

Time taken: 1.05 hours

Distance: 5.1 km

Ascent: 250m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Malky back to work…the holidays almost over for me too! He was off to work at Boat of Garten and I was going to hitch a ride and cycle back but when the weather changed and forecasted a load of crap for the morning I decided to change my plans and curl up of the sofa with a cup of tea and chocolate for an extra couple of hours :lol:

A few showers later I got off my backside and headed out with a different plan – I headed straight up the hill behind the house which was unfortunately straight into the wind! It got me warmed up quickly though and as the gradient eased I got some great views 8)
ImageKessock Bridge

ImageMoody hills above Loch Ness

ImageHere comes the sun

However, now I was on the relative flat the wind was even more of a pain (although I’d take it after the mental winds we tried to cycle into last week near Durness :lol: )
ImageMeall Fuar Mhonniadh

ImageMy beautiful shiny machine

I’d decided to come up this direction to add on a bit more distance but missed the turning I was planning to take (well…I wasn’t sure and couldn’t be bothered checking the map :lol: ) so ended up coming further than planned :lol:
ImageTom Bailgeann in the distance

I did turn off at Loch Duntelchaig and looking back the views were awesome 8)
ImageLoch Duntelchaig

A few ups and downs later I was looking back at the impressive Creag nan Clag – much more interesting from this side to the heathery nightmare the other side :shock:
ImageThe impressive side of Creag nan Clag

ImageLoch Ruthven

ImageCreag nan Clag & Tom Bailgeann

A few more miles back the road I cycled through Farr and ignored the inverness turning which took me towards the A9. I took the Midlairgs turning and followed the road – there were various tracks leading off but I decided to stick to the better road…which took me to a quarry. There were various vehicles around so I tried to slip around the side unobtrusively.

Unfortunately all the tracks on the map didn’t exactly match what actually existed and I got lost. After cycling around in circles for a bit I was accosted by a nice man in a hard hat.

He was actually very friendly and threw me and the bike in his truck and dropped me at the edge of the quarry on the forestry track I was after. I cycled past some forestry toys and a got asked for a tow from a couple of guys who had driven their truck into a ditch :lol: Soon enough I was at the crossing point at the A9. I dumped the bike, switched my hat and ran across the road 8)
ImageThis is where most people drive to

I hopped the fence and followed the track to the right as suggested by a couple of reports I’d read. I did think about a short cut but the ground looked pretty awful so figured it was worth the extra distance!
ImageBloody awful ground

At the end of the track a muddy path continued up to a gate through the deer fence. From here I was on my own – the ground was soaking after the deluge of rain the day before, there were a lot of clumps of mud, bog and heather. It was pretty nasty. As I climbed higher the bog got drier but it seemed someone was planning to plant trees here, as there were giant holes filled with water with huge piles of earth next to them. And it was all covered with heather so I kept nearly falling in :crazy:
ImageBeinn a' Bheurlaich

If I ignored the crap I was walking through, it was a lovely afternoon
ImageLooking back

I finally reached the summit – the views were stunning but it was so windy that my hat blew off and I could barely stand! There were a few flurries of snow too :shock:
ImageCarn na h-Easgainn

ImageSummit views to Beinn a' Bheurlaich

ImageA9 South & Loch Moy

ImageBeautiful early evening over Strathnairn

ImageMeall Mor summit

It was not a day for sitting around up there, and although I had thought to go over the lower summit of Beinn a’ Bheurlaich as well, I was quite keen to find my way out of the forest before it got dark :lol:
ImageLooking back - an interesting summit

ImageHeading down

The way down wasn’t really any more enjoyable than the way up but it was marginally quicker and before long I was sloshing my way through the gate
ImageLooking back up

ImageBack at the gate

Back on the track I jogged back along as the light was already starting to drop
ImageBack on track

ImageBack at the A9!

I ran back across, jumped on the bike and found a much easier way through the woods avoiding the quarry. I decided I didn’t want to go back on myself so headed out towards Culloden a short distance.
ImageCulloden Viaduct

Before long the lights were on and it was a bit of a smash back into the wind back into Inverness. Bit of a longer day than planned but always good to get out 8)

65.53km, 717m ascent & 4 hours cycling

Meall Mor Cycle.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Meall_Mor (1).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland