walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na Gainimh

Beinn na Gainimh

Postby Tam Collie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:34 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn na Gainimh

Date walked: 18/01/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another late start saw not only the car parked at Newton Bridge but us double timing along Western Glen Almond to get to Conichan asap to give us a descent chance of a round in the sun. This hill was high on my list because I could not quite make up my mind if it hit my skyline from the daily walk and because this area has recently been in the news with Erin Resources claiming that there are economical gold reserves here to be mined. Any such exploitation will dramatically impact the seclusion of these hills so I really wanted to enjoy them as they are and while I could.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As it was the ATV track leading into Corrie Henzie was steep, so steep that double timing took twice as long! Conichan Castle is a lovely hill, a good vantage point above the steep sided glen that is Western Glen Almond. The name comes from the farm below it and is probably not of any antiquity. Once off Conichan Castle the tops are predominantly peat hags though luckily today they were frozen solid.

No great cairns adorn these hills, just small piles of stones, telling the tale of passing hill baggers. I suspect that in bleak weather navigation would be a challenge but another of those double electric fences traverses the tops giving definition to the line of the ridge. Beinn na Gainimh was appropriately bagged though I had to search for my stone!
Gainimh.jpg
Fabulous skyline looking South, How many can you work out?

The hills to the North took some sorting out and Meall nam Fuaran, snow covered and from this aspect craggy looked quite spectacular.

The descent started well with the dog rounding up another walker, the only one seen on the hill all day. Hellos waved we parted finding our own descents. I made for the small scheme hydro dam , a mistake given the estate track climbs back up to near the top of Conichan Castle before dropping back down to Glen Almond. All that was left was the walk out after another very pleasant if short day.
Tam Collie
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:127
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:48
Wainwrights:73   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland