walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

GPS spoils the fun on Strathfinella Hill

GPS spoils the fun on Strathfinella Hill

Postby KatTai » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:23 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Strathfinella Hill

Date walked: 21/01/2020

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Reading previous reports, this sounded like a maze of a hill to get up to! It looks like a maze on the map too, plus a hidden trig point. I decided to spoil the fun though with GPS...saying that though the Forestry Commission decided to make things a bit more exciting by closing part of the route, so I too an alternative track that didn't have signs up only to find having battled over felled trees, branches, mud etc that there was a closed sign at the other end :lol:

I parked up at first forest entrance coming up from Auchenblae were there is parking for several cars and set off, it was at the first split where I came to no access signs, so I took the track to the left which was fine at first until it reached a freshly felled area! It rejoined the main track again, and it was a case of following that track until it reached a point where it forked at a wider track. I went to the right following this along until a very muddy track broke off from this one and took that to join another track. It was left here and left again onto the long straight track. The area to turn for the trig point was very obvious - the forest is clearly very popular with mountain bikers and there was a very churned up muddy track that led towards the trig point which was almost hidden in the trees just to the left along this track. Rather than returning on the forestry track, we opted for staying on the track created by mountain bikers passing over Black Hill which was a much nicer route if muddy in places but nothing too bad. Back on the main track we stayed on it all the way down, there was no forestry work going on everything was silent.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland