walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carinwell Trio

Carinwell Trio

Postby Mrs Scoob » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 18/01/2020

Time taken: 4.2 hours

Distance: 10.9 km

Ascent: 706m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did the loop in reverse this time - straight up The Cairnwell, then around. Needed goggles on from the first top as the freezing wind really plays havoc with my eyes; they stream almost as much as my nose :roll: :lol:
Scoob's video 8)

18Jan20 Cairnwell 3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSC_1410.JPG
Looking back, having picked out a line straight up from the car park
DSC_1411.JPG
We'd put our microspikes on by now and left them on til we were back at the car park. Although not a lot of snow cover, it was quite icy in places
DSC_1416.JPG
We added goggles as we headed off The Cairnwell; looking towards our next hill
DSC_1428.JPG
Cloud dropped on Carn a'Gheoidh summit, but soon lifted again
DSC_1435.JPG
Passing the big lochan, which was mostly frozen
DSC_1443.JPG
Heading for our final summit
DSC_1446.JPG
Carn Aosda summit view looking to the route we've just done; sun getting lower
DSC_1453.JPG
Usually when our ascent is so far out I figure Scoob's GPS is more accurate... this time, having drawn the route on a Planner, I'm sticking with my stats
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland