walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Brazilian on Ben A'an

A Brazilian on Ben A'an

Postby Chris Mac » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 am

Route description: Ben A'an

Date walked: 18/01/2020

Time taken: 2.56 hours

Distance: 5.28 km

Ascent: 469m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben-Aan.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had been almost three years since my first walk with Neil up Allermuir Hill, almost in his back garden in Edinburgh, then nothing since! :lol:

With his father in law Willy visiting from Brazil for a while and being a veteran mountaineer back home, a request came through to get up the hills to show him some of our scenery, how could I refuse?!

When a weekend weather window appeared, albeit a chilly frosty one, plans were made and we would meet in Callander then decide on a choice of either Ben Ledi if we felt like a challenge, or an easier option of Ben A'an along the road, minimum effort, maximum vista.

Both hills owed me a view as well - when I first climbed the Tump top of Meall Gainmheich clouds appeared as we neared the summit so I only saw the loch and Ben Venue, no decent view distant mountains unfortunately. Ben Ledi was done with a summit blizzard appearing on approach so either option suited me and I harboured fantasies of adding in either Benvane or the parent Marilyn of Ben A'an if I could persuade the others... :lol:

I arrived on time in Callander but Neil and Wily were delayed so went to my favourite Ben Ledi spot at the River Teith to find it quite flooded!
ImageBen A'an (1) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Ledi enticing me up it again although I had a feeling the easy option would be the order of the day after Neil mentioned something about being old, hips, being unfit etc. the night before! :D
ImageBen A'an (2) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I had my breakfast and Neil pulled up as I was heading back to the car, good timing. We bought our lunch and the easy option was indeed the preference for our adventure. Snow on bigger hills overnight and a good forecast promised good photo opportunities.

We set off along the flanks of Ben Ledi on the A821. Unfortunately our 9am start,delayed until half 9, then drive along the road to our target car park meant we were already too late for a spot. We pulled up alongside each other, follow me I said and a few minutes along the road we were parking at Ben Venue car park which would add peanuts to the walk.

With plenty of spaces we parked and paid our very reasonable £3, take note Argyll & Bute Council, £9 is out of order! All set, despite me trying to forget my camera once again, must stop this new habit, the further away start meant a bonus view of a glass-still Loch Achray on the way:
ImageBen A'an (3) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A few miinutes along the road, taking care as we went especially with a big puddle at one corner, we were soon ascending the excellent path uphill:
ImageBen A'an (4) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

It was roasting and as predicted on the way along we soon stopped for the usual stripping of layers early on, no wonder with the sun beating down behind us:
ImageBen A'an (5) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A fair few people had passed us already on the way down and before long Ben A'an came into view, the lads were impressed:
ImageBen A'an (6) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageBen A'an (7) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Venue on our left as we continue along:
ImageBen A'an (10) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I point out the steep path but so far Neil has said it's been just like going upstairs so far, should be fine! :D
ImageBen A'an (11) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Venue through the trees:
ImageBen A'an (14) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

There were dogs galore on the hill and even more to come and with the numbers on the path heading up and down it was quite a social affair, warnings about ice and jokes to kids about them almost being there being shared by all! :lol:
ImageBen A'an (15) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The steep section of path wasn't as steep as I remembered although having done Curved Ridge and more since then I figured I had just become desensitised to steep slopes. :)

We did veer slightly off the path as we went beyond the burn crossing section as we followed a girl up, crossing at a more difficult section further upstream but we all managed it no bother. :clap:

As we reached the flat before the final summit path the sun was kissing the top of the Tump:
ImageBen A'an (17) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

A few warnings were noted by passers by on how icey the main path was so I suggested a more heathery path directly north of the summit rock instead of to the east. This also meant this view appeared even earlier and it went down well with the group: :clap:
ImageBen A'an (18) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Loch Katrine:
ImageBen A'an (20) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We headed off towards the summit which was already busy with silhouette people and dogs!
ImageBen A'an (25) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageBen A'an (26) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Before we summit we can't resist gawping at the view:
ImageBen A'an (28) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageBen A'an (29) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beat it clouds:
ImageBen A'an (30) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Stob a' Choin taking up most of the view north:
ImageBen A'an (31) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Wide angle:
ImageBen A'an (32) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Venue:
ImageBen A'an (33) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The path here isn't that icey and we are soon atop the classic viewpoint:
ImageBen A'an (35) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben A'an summit looking south with the Menteith Hills Beinn Dearg and Craig of Monievreckie in view, along with all of the main hills from the Ochils and Campsies:
ImageBen A'an (36) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I drop off the summit to give Neil and Willy a turn and take some photos of a guy taking a photo of them:
ImageBen A'an (37) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Clearing up over at the Arrochar Alps:
ImageBen A'an (38) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The summit rock:
ImageBen A'an (40) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageBen A'an (42) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The guys come over to join me, time to find a lunch spot on the secondary summit:
ImageBen A'an (44) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We enjoy a snack and thermos of hot tea while soaking in the view and catching up:
ImageBen A'an (45) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Two very happy hikers: :D
ImageBen A'an (46) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Time to check out the view south and west in detail, from Ben Ledi to Dumgoyne:
ImageBen A'an (47) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

We could have been up there:
ImageBen A'an (49) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Unsurprisingly the summit was fairly busy but i've seen worse elsewhere (Conic Hill on Easter Friday!) although the array of dogs up here was now reaching ridiculous levels when this wee Pomeranian appeared! :lol:
ImageBen A'an (52) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

More dogs:
ImageBen A'an (53) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Cleuch and Dumyat south east and Loch Venachar peeking through:
ImageBen A'an (54) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Dumyat:
ImageBen A'an (55) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Cleuch:
ImageBen A'an (56) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Neil is well chuffed when I point out his local Allermuir Hill and the Pentlands:
ImageBen A'an (58) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageBen A'an (60) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

South west to Craig of Monievreckie, Dumgoyne and the Kilpatrick Hills:
ImageBen A'an (61) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Dumgoyne:
ImageBen A'an (63) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

I can see a few people on Ben Venue top (L) and summit (R):
ImageBen A'an (64) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The distraction south proved worth it as the view west finally cleared leaving Arrochar's giants unobstructed:
ImageBen A'an (65) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Arthur, one of the gems of the southern highlands and rightly so:
ImageBen A'an (67) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Narnain too:
ImageBen A'an (69) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Ime, Ben Vane, what a cracking angle to see them from:
ImageBen A'an (71) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageBen A'an (72) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn a' Choin at the end of Loch Katrine with Ben Vorlich in clouds behind it:
ImageBen A'an (73) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Looking north to Stob a' Choin:
ImageBen A'an (74) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

ImageBen A'an (75) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Cruach Ardrain:
ImageBen A'an (76) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Beinn Chabhair:
ImageBen A'an (77) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben Ledi again:
ImageBen A'an (78) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On closer inspection, it looks like a popular choice today with a fair few people on the summit and ridge:
ImageBen A'an (79) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Meanwhile, Ben A'an is getting as busy as it looked when I saw it from Ben Venue last January with the Munro Meanderers! :crazy:
ImageBen A'an (80) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

That's our cue to leave, unfortunately we decided to risk the icey main path and just at the end of it Willy came a cropper but since he only slipped onto his bum and sat there laughing about it we figured he was ok and continued on! :lol:
ImageBen A'an (81) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Luckily the sunny side of the path had melted so no more risk of ice. We warned a fair few folk on the way up that it would be safer to take the alternative route to the summt and back:
ImageBen A'an (82) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Willy on the descent, he found a scarf so we would tie it to the fence at the bottom in the hope the owner would spot it if they hadn't left already:
ImageBen A'an (84) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

At the bottom of the steep bit we greet more dogs and annoy more kids by telling them not long now, enjoying a final look back at the popular pointy summit:
ImageBen A'an (85) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

On the way down the final easy section. The outline of Craig of Monievreckie can be seen and it gives a great viewpoint of Ben A'an:
ImageBen A'an (86) by Chris Mac, on Flickr

Ben A'an from Craig of Monievreckie during the summer:
ImageDSC_0291 by Chris Mac, on Flickr

The car park was even busier than when we had passed earlier which should have been obvious from the still steady stream of people on the hill on the way up and down. Cars were on every verge it was chocka! We set off along the road along with several other walkers, arriving at Ben Venue car park where it turns out manages the overspill from Ben A'an on a busy day like today.

Neil and Willy had thoroughly enjoyed their easy afternoon romp up to one of Scotland's best wee viewpoints, even though everyone else had the same idea. I was more than happy to get a proper view this time and also do a warm up for biggger things to come the following day.

We set off our separate ways, south east to Edinburgh and I enjoyed the Duke's pass direct route back to Glasgow instead of the motorway.

The day was a blast and the guys had caught the bug, already wondering if we were going to do something a bit more ambitious the next time we head out. Another hill that owed me a view ticked off, making repeat visits more than worthwhile. :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Re: A Brazilian on Ben A'an

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:47 pm

Fantastic photos! We were at Loch Katrine at New Year last year but it was a family trip, so we just did the boat cruise - seeing this brings it all back.

tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Re: A Brazilian on Ben A'an

Postby Chris Mac » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:00 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Fantastic photos! We were at Loch Katrine at New Year last year but it was a family trip, so we just did the boat cruise - seeing this brings it all back.

tim

Cheers Tim, it certainly made up for the timing of clouds which arrived at the same time as I did at the summit when I first climbed Ben A'an years ago, so I was more than happy to return on a day like this one to see a lot more. The wide angle and zoom lens was useful too, lots to fit in both near and far!

I'm looking forward to exploring some more of the area, plenty of routes and hills. It looks like there may even be one up to Ben A'an from The Great Trossachs Path down at Loch Katrine, so I might try that next time while also finally getting up the poor neglected parent Marilyn summit of Meall Gainmheich. :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland