walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winter walk up Mayar

Winter walk up Mayar

Postby martin1909 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mayar

Date walked: 18/01/2020

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Mayar would be my first Munro in god knows how many years. It was also the first of hopefully many Munro's with Gill. It was a cold day out and we set off from the Glen Clova ranger station car park at about 09:30 wrapped up and ready to go. Gill quickly realised that had she not worn gloves and a hat, as she had originally intended, she would have regretted it. The walk up to Corrie Fee from the car park was fairly shallow and enjoyable through the Glen Doll forest. 45 minute later we reached a snow capped and windy Corrie Fee. This was the first part of the walk where we were exposed to the winds and further up the walk we would be subjected to the temps of about -10 in the wind. We climbed up the back of corrie fee, carving our own path at times, and at the top stopped for a well earned rest. Gill was beginning to think at this point that Munro bagging was not for her :lol: . Twenty minutes rest, a cup of tea and a snack had us back on our way. The initial ascent from our stop location was quite steep and challenging but when the top was reached it was a shallow walk up to the summit of Mayar. We decided not to have lunch atop Mayar as we were weary of the time given that we still had to summit Driesh so from there we walked across the plateau. Gill fell a good 4 or 5 times as there was ice all over the place. When we got to the base of the ascent path to Driesh we had lunch and a cup of tea. Gill and I discussed walking up Driesh based on the fact that we knew daylight was not in abundance at this time (14:30 approx.). We decided to give it a bash but a short way up fears over safety forced us to turn back. I'd have probably continued if it was just myself but a combination if ice and winds stronger that I can ever remember up the hills forced us to turn back as it was just not safe. We slowly descended (Gill on her bum at times) and then walked back down to the car park via the Kilbo Path.

All in all this was a great day. I was proud of Gill not giving up and summiting Mayar, hopefully the first of many Munro's we do togethter.

Next time I go hiking in the snow however I will definitely be taking either sunglasses or ski goggles.

Gill at Corrie Fee
IMG_4631.JPG

Gill at Mayar summit
IMG_4663.JPG

Me at Mayar summit
IMG_4668.JPG

Snowy summits
IMG_4664.JPG

Gill on her backside
IMG_4669.JPG

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

martin1909
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:9

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland