walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor

Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhor

Postby kleighton » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:44 pm

Route description: Ben Starav and Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Ben Starav, Glas Bheinn Mhòr

Date walked: 16/05/2018

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1395m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had prepared this draft over a year ago but when I saved the draft it disappeared. I've only just figured out how to retrieve drafts. When I reread my notes it all came back. It was one if my most memorable walks! Unfortunately I can't attach my photos as I'm told they don't have right amount of pixels. I'm not sure what to do about this. Any ideas?
I had planned this walk for a clear still day. It was so hot that I decided the only cool place would be up a mountain.
The ascent up Ben Starav went well. Fairly straightforward and only really steep as I approached the bouldery summit.
The ridge walk across to Glas Bheinn Mhor was exhilirating and quite airy at times. Wonderful views for miles all around. Glen Coe summits to the north looked inviting and Beinn nan Aighenan to the south a little tempting. However being the tortoise on the hills I figured a third summit would take too long.
The descent was initially gentle but steepened near the beallach where I could see and hear a group of young climbers who had stopped for a picnic. Other than this group I only met 2 singles and 1 pair.
Down the path beside the stream was an easy descent not too boggy as it had been dry and sunny for days.
All in all an exhilirating and successful day. I can't wait to bag the other 3 in Glen Etive. It seemed one of the most beautiful glens in Scotland.
I've since bagged the remaining 3 and all were wonderful too. Glen Etive is fantastic!
kleighton
Munro compleatist

Munros:224   Corbetts:27
Fionas:52   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:36   Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland