walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Dun Rig Horsehoe - Sort Of...

The Dun Rig Horsehoe - Sort Of...

Postby Christo1979 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:27 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Dun Rig

Donalds included on this walk: Birkscairn Hill, Black Law, Dun Rig, Glenrath Heights, Middle Hill, Stob Law

Date walked: 19/01/2020

Time taken: 12 hours

Distance: 40 km

Ascent: 1541m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm attempting to climb all 140 Donalds and Donald Tops in aid of charity. 'Donalds for Donald' is a personal challenge in memory of my late father, Donald, and in aid of Mesothelioma UK. After the walk in this report, my total is currently 120/140. I had hoped to get them all done by 15th November, dad's birthday, but weeks of being variously unwell or working every day had sabotaged the goal. I'll hopefully compleat them soon.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another very early start, but I left a dark Peebles with a spring in my step - today would hopefully be the day I compleated the Scottish Borders Donalds, leaving just one more substantial weekend expedition to compleat all 140 Donalds/Tops :D

I walked out to Haystoun, then followed the track all the way along past Upper Newby, where I clambered up the steep but short hillside to the site of the hill fort, after which I could see I could see I was in for a long but straightforward hike up to Hundleshope Heights. It was hard to stop myself pausing every two minutes to savour the sunrise, and the brilliant red sky was a sight to behold. From the trig on Hundleshope Heights, I followed the fence along towards Middle Hill, a straightforward wander punctuated only by the need to drop down across Door Hass and summit the shapely Stob Law with its excellent views. The wind was whipping up, and I foolishly removed a glove at one point only to lose my grip on it and waste a full 15 minutes running across boggy ground to retrieve it. I was grateful that the conditions were crisp and cold, as so much of the boggy ground was frozen solid. A strange landscape, but perfect conditions for walking on what would, in 'better' weather, be a nightmare.

ImageWalking in The Manor Hills (Part 2) by Christopher Watson, on Flickr

After Glenrath Heights, I dropped down and across to White Cleuch Hill, and enjoyed an at times rough but scenic wander along to Black Law, before the easily-bagged tops Conscleuch Head and Deer Law. Dots joined! I turned back on myself and returned the long way I had come, albeit contouring around slopes at times until taking a break near the mast before the pull up towards Dun Rig.

Back on the Dun Rig horseshoe 'path' once again, it took longer than anticipated to reach the trig, but again I was grateful for the frozen bogs. I hadn't seen a soul all day, but now it was afternoon and I was on the more popular hills again, I met several other walkers, one or two tackling the horseshoe the 'correct' way, others simply having a short wander up to Dun Rig from Glenshiel. From Dun Rig I dropped to Stake law, before pulling straight up the fence line to the summit of Birkscairn Hill, where I stopped for a good chat with another walker. I was grateful of the rest, and my legs were feeling the strain now - I'd been walking all day with no more than about a 15 minute break. Good news though, that was the Border Donalds done. I'd liked to have followed the Cross Borders Drove Road and finished the horseshoe on pleasant little hills, but I took the easy way out and dropped into the glen before Yellow Mire, conscious of time and tired legs. It was no hardship walking along the track in beautiful Glensax, and eventually I ended-up where I had started in the dark earlier today, and trotted back down to Peebles to start the journey home. Weekend mission - accomplished.

Last edited by Christo1979 on Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

Re: The Dun Rig Horsehoe - Sort Of...

Postby iangpark » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Nice one Chris, these seem a breeze to you now! That was a massive day out all the way to Deer Law and you made it look a doddle :shock: Surprised at the bogginess at this time of year and how massive the sun looked as well. Wish I'd been on a hill when we had those couple of great sunrises. Just read your Drumelzier one there too, can't say I'd have had the energy in those conditions to get all the way to Greenside Law!
iangpark
Mountain Walker

Munros:81   Corbetts:17
Fionas:24   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   Islands:11

Re: The Dun Rig Horsehoe - Sort Of...

Postby Christo1979 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:02 pm

iangpark wrote:Nice one Chris, these seem a breeze to you now! That was a massive day out all the way to Deer Law and you made it look a doddle :shock: Surprised at the bogginess at this time of year and how massive the sun looked as well. Wish I'd been on a hill when we had those couple of great sunrises. Just read your Drumelzier one there too, can't say I'd have had the energy in those conditions to get all the way to Greenside Law!

Thanks :D it was certainly surreal with the big sun and the rolling mist! They were two long and fairly tough days, but I’ve learned to associate Donalds with just such expeditions :lol: Next up are the Galloway hills - I’ve engineered it so I’m left with the ‘Ring of Fire’ and should hopefully compleat the round on The Merrick ( or technically, Benyellary). I’ll be sure to read through your reports of the same hills for some inspiration.
Christo1979
Walker

Munros:28   Corbetts:45
Fionas:40   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:103   Hewitts:192
Wainwrights:214   Islands:26

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland