walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Path Barmekin hill Echt

Path Barmekin hill Echt

Postby dn1873 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:25 pm

Route description: Dunecht Estate and Barmekin Hill

Date walked: 28/01/2020

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 205m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The path described in the ascent of this hill is virtually none existent, stage 5 describes the path as descending slightly but to leave it here and carry straight ahead. At this point There is a sign saying path pointing in opposite direction so there is no guidance as to where the true path lays. I followed the sign back along the hill ascending at roughly 45 deg as I went till I ran out of anything like a path so had to plod through the heather to the top which is hard going.
Top it is heavily covered in heather and the path to descend is a lot clearer than the ascent....my advise would be to ascend and descend using this path.
If anyone else has done this lately I would be very interested to know if they found the true path up the hill....

Drew Nicol
dn1873
Scrambler

Re: Path Barmekin hill Echt

Postby Colind4 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:29 pm

Moderator's note: our route has been updated - the path sign shown in the post below is no longer there (you still turn left then right at the same point though).

Hi Backpacker

I have done this walk a few times and the turn you had problems with is tricky! The track is clear from the right turn through the gate and you can see the orange sign pointing left and upwards as you climb. This sign is pointing in the right general direction but.......
IMG_20200320_144429.jpg

You need to turn to the right as soon as you go off the main track. My walking poles are on the correct line - believe it or not!
IMG_20200320_144556.jpg

And this shot shows the turn! I am standing with my back towards the wrong clear path leading to the left!
IMG_20200320_144612.jpg

The path is not easy to follow but it is there OK - if you find yourself on this route you are going fine!
IMG_20200320_144841.jpg

Don't give up on the Barmekin hill trip in the direction described - it a great little half day walk!
Colind4
Mountaineer

Munros:16   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland