walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Benvane - not in vain (rain) !

Benvane - not in vain (rain) !

Postby Justdrums » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:59 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Benvane

Date walked: 01/02/2020

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8.75 km

Ascent: 617m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

T and I had been trying to organise another hill walk but weather and circumstances kept getting in the way. We finally fixed on this date but the weather as ever was the deciding factor on what to go up and where if at all. After much examination of the met office site finally figured that the afternoon in the vicinity of Callander might be a good bet. So we agreed to meet in Callander and then head for Benvane. After a bit of a wrong turn (or rather missing the turn altogether) we made it to the suggested parking spot. Weather was still a bit drizzly but I was living in hope that the Met Office would come through. Any way crossed the bridge, up the steep bank, headed over the field and found there were two gates but no sign to Brig of Turk. Took the right hand gate and headed up the hill. I was in new boots with blister plasters on due to my attempts in the past week to break them in walking along the ash lagoons, sea wall. So at first I found my feet were a bit tender but thankfully that wore off. Unfortunately though it did start raining really heavy, the wind grew stronger and the ground got more sodden. I was thinking 'oh no' not another Cruach Ardrain drench fest. However once we made it up to the Lianach, the rain eased, cloud lifted and even the sun appeared along with a tantalising glimpse of the top.
benvane.jpg
A brief glimpse

We carried on across Lianach (don't know what this means - google translate doesn't either) and had some interesting views.
North-to-Balquhidder.jpg
Looking North towards the hills above Balquhidder

looking-SE from Lianach.jpg
Looking SE from Lianach

There were various big wet gloopy bits on the Lianach but eventually we saw the fence.
fence.jpg
The fence

Now which stile to cross. There was a stile at the corner but it turns out this is not the stile. It's the next one.
Walking alongside the fence there were some nice views. T kindly stood in the photo to give a sense of scale or whatever it is.
Looking-east-from-Lianach.jpg
Looking east'ish

Looking-SE-again.jpg
Looking SE'ish again

LochLubnaig.jpg
Looking South'ish over Loch Lubnaig

After the stile it was not long to the top. At first it was bit cloudy with Glen Finglas reservoir deciding to do a UFO impersonation.
GlenFinglasReservoir.jpg
The UFO ! No - Glen Finglas reservoir

But the cloud cleared and one of the two fine people who reached the top just before us told us that our walk had clearly not been in vain (vane - geddit!).
Ben Ledi.jpg
Looking toward Ben Ledi from the top

Had lunch at the top with a nice view.
lunch.jpg
Lunch

Started on the way back down. Took a last photo from the top. Looking west-north-west'ish. Not sure what the loch in the distance is. Do you?
summit-west.jpg
Summit NW'ish

Had some nice views of Ben More on the way back down but stupidly did not take a photo. Ah, well next time.
North-return.jpg
Looking North over Lianach on way down

last-one.jpg
Last photo looking North before coming off Lianach
Justdrums
Walker

Munros:67   Corbetts:15
Fionas:17   Donalds:50+17
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland