walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Jaxter the red-nosed reindeer

Jaxter the red-nosed reindeer

Postby Jaxter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:19 pm

Route description: Cairn Gorm and the northern corries

Date walked: 22/12/2019

Time taken: 4.1 hours

Distance: 11.32 km

Ascent: 748m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was the beginning of the Christmas road trip – we’d been in Inverness for the weekend for Malky’s birthday and were on our way south for Christmas. We thought we’d have a wee hill on the way down above Newtonmore but we could see that the weather looked much better in the Cairngorms…a spur of the moment decision had us heading for Meall a’ Buachaille but then we saw there was still snow up high so carried on up to the ski centre car park – a quick circuit of the northern corries and a chance to break in the winter boots 8)

We took the track to start with as it was a quick and easy was onto the ridge – the snow was hard and icy and we had to jump out the way of a snowmobile :lol:
ImageLoch Morlich

We continued up the track and as we gained height we could start to see snowy peaks in the distance

Once we were on the ridge we could see the Fiacaill ridge – definitely not one for today but it looked incredible 8)

ImageFannaichs

ImageBen Wyvis

ImageBen More Assynt

ImageBen Klibreck

ImageMorven

The hills above the Cluanie Image

Not sure what these ones are because Malky’s still at work :lol:

ImageFiacaill

This was beginning to feel like proper winter 8)
ImageLooking up the ridge

ImageIdiot

ImageWheeeee

The ground here was ok, the snow was hard but with the hard winter boots it was easy enough to get plenty of purchase. But I had new crampons to play with so I decided to show off by putting them on super quick. Clip-on crampons are incredible 8)

We reached the top of the ridge and there was a cairn to climb on :D
ImageMalky mounts the cairn

Although there was a bit of cloud around we could still see the impressive corries and some proper winter conditions 8)
ImageLooking around the top of the corries

ImageCairn & Loch morlich

ImageStacan Dubh

ImageLoch Etchachan

ImageWe started to climb up towards Stob Coire an t-Sneachda

I was loving the crunch of the hard snow under my crampons as we walked along 8) ImageSnowy conditions

ImageCool cliffs

Someone wanted the quick way up!
ImageUmmm....no thanks!

As we were heading up we met quite a few folks coming down – they looked like they’d been on some sort of course – would definitely have been a good day for it!
ImageLooking back

ImageSummit of Stob Coire an t-Sneachda

ImageSun almost breaking through

ImageLooking down the corrie to Loch Morlich

It was pretty chilly so we carried on walking – looking back to the cliffs was really cool. Everything looks so epic in the snow 8)
ImageMore awesome cliffs

ImageWalkers coming back from Macdui

ImageLooking back along the cliffs

As we started to climb up Cairn Lochan we could see down to more awesome gullies and cliffs
ImageOooft!

We reached the top of Cairn Lochan – it was a great feeling of proper winter 8) It was also freezing so we didn’t hang around too long. There was time for a bit of fooling around though :lol:
ImageJaxter the red nosed reindeer

Heading off we headed along the top of the corrie. Malky wanted to avoid putting his crampons on so we tried to stay left on the less steep ground
ImageLooking back

Then we got bored and he went for it :lol:
ImageMalky trying to put his crampons on, 2nd attempt

ImageCome on Malky!

ImageLooking down to the Lurcher Crag

We took a quick diversion over to the Lairig Ghru – definitely worth it 8)
ImageIncredible Lairig Ghru

The top of the Lurcher Crag with a wee bit of sun – incredible 8)
ImageThe Lurcher Crag

ImageLooking back to the corries

The snow was really soft here so we decided to lose the crampons. Walking felt really funny without them on :lol:

Imagethe Fiacaill ridge and Cairn Gorm

ImageSun hitting the snow

We hit the path – there were some bit patches of snow and lower down a lot of ice but with care we were able to pass
ImageLooking back up

ImageLooking back the ridge was clear of course

ImageBit of fluff on Meall a' Buachaille

ImageIcy path

My feet were really sore by this point, so the path stretching out ahead of me made me feel really great… :roll:
ImageA long road for sore feet

There were a couple of icy river crossings but we managed to cross unscathed. Looking back we were definitely chuffed we’d come up here 8)
ImageLooking back

As we approached the ski lifts we were suddenly surrounded by lots of people sledging and trying to find enough snow to play with. A few snowballs may have been thrown….

We were definitely relieved to be back at the car – I love my new boots but I was very glad to take them off :lol: It was time to head back to Glasgow and then on our Christmas road trip 8)
ImageSanta driving his sleigh

northern corries.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland