walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The start of winter?

The start of winter?

Postby Jaxter » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:21 pm

Route description: Beinn Mhic Chasgaig, Glen Etive

Munros included on this walk: Creise

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mhic Chasgaig

Date walked: 10/11/2019

Time taken: 7.43 hours

Distance: 15.56 km

Ascent: 1343m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It was a beautiful Sunday – we’d had a good 80km cycle on Saturday and were home early enough to get things ready, get an early night and be up bright and early 8) As we drove up the road we forgot the clocks had gone back and actually wished we’d been up earlier, but we were parked up near Alltchaorunn and walking before 9.

Looking up the glen to Sron na Creise

Passing through the gate Malky regaled me with tales of folks who had crossed the bridge before it was unlocked – apparently shuffling along the outside was the usual method :shock:

An Grianan – the end of the Beinn Dubh ridge

We followed the very boggy path as directed by the estate which was fortunately fairly frozen. Not frozen enough around the stile though, as we had to be fairly acrobatic to get over the bog :lol:

Now properly on the path we had to be careful as the big slabs were super icy!

Back to An Grianan

Looking back to Buachaille Etive Mor

Malky avoiding the ice on the path

Looking up the glen

As we walked up the glen we started to get a bit warmer and the sun was hitting the Bookle behind us

Beinn Dubh

We were slightly concerned about the river crossing, but as it turned out there were no problems and we didn’t even need to bother looking for the bridge which was supposed to be somewhere there. We were safely across and heading up the path up Coire Ghiubhasan

The path was less icy from here but definitely muddier and I managed to slip and put mud over the top of my boot…The gaiters went straight on but the damage was done :roll:

Clach Leathad – our planned route up onto Creise

We had thought to head up Creise first but realised that we were wasting the good weather down in the glen so crossed over and headed up beside the big gorge of Beinn Mhic Chasgaig

It was steep going but as we climbed we could see Stob Coire Sgreamhach start to appear 8)

The impressive nipple of An Grianan

Malky likes an impressive nipple :lol:

The sun popping over the Aonach Mor ridge (one to explore another day!)

Now we were in the sun it was really warm – I was seriously regretting the fleece lined trousers as I was sweating buckets – the gaiters came off which helped a bit but I was still cooking :shock: But the views were good 8)

The whole of the Beinn Dubh ridge

Soon we were into the snow – it wasn’t deep but enough to make a nice crunchy noise underfoot – and as we climbed higher we could see further down Glen Etive 8)

We made for the ridge – at least we had views in all directions now, but it was bloody steep :shock:

Ben Starav popping out the top

Towards the top it got rockier underfoot, and there were patched of ice where we had to be careful but finally we were at the almost summit – we stopped to add layers and I decided to play with the big lens before we lost the view back down Glen Etive!

Bidean and Sgreamhach

Beinn a’ Bheithir

Ben Nevis and Carn mor Dearg

The Grey Corries and Stob Ban with a very prominent Crowberry Tower in the foreground – not often seen from this angle!

The Easains

Ben Starav

Beinn Fionnlaidh & Sgorr na h-Ulaidh with Glen Galmadale hills behind

I started to lose feeling in my hands and Malky was getting cranky so we moved on, walking over the last few bumps to the summit. There was a lot of snow and it had built up enough in some places to sink into and make walking tricky :roll:

The Crianlarich hills

Stob Ghabhar

A wee frozen lochan near the summit

Buachaille Etive Mor with Ben Nevis and Carn Mor Dearg behind

Summit of Beinn Mhic Chasgaig

Despite being stunning it was freezing cold and we didn’t want to hang about too long :shock: We also didn’t want to go back down just yet…I’d felt a bit sore on the way up but was keen to continue so we talked through a few options and decided we would continue on slowly and see how I felt

The NNE ridge that we could have come up with Stob Dearg and Beinn a’ Chrulaiste

Beinn Dubh with Beinn Trilleachean behind

Beinn Fionnlaidh and Sgorr na h-Ulaidh

Malky leading the way

Incredible Stob Dearg and Crowberry Tower

It was a steep descent down to the 698m bealach but surprisingly easy underfoot and before long it was time to start going up again. Looking back Beinn Mhic Chasgaig was mighty impressive

The ridge up onto Creise wasn’t too steep and we plodded up very slowly with plenty of breathers every time I started feeling sore again. We had a nice lunch stop in a sheltered spot half way up

As we climbed higher we could see all the way down to the end of Glen Etive and beyond

Ben Cruachan starting to peek out

Layers upon layers of awesomeness 8)

Stob Ghabhar with Ben Lui peeking out to the left

Buachaille Etive Mor

The ridge steepened for a short section but soon after the gradient eased and we were into deeper but flatter snow and onto the plateau 8)

We continued across to the edge of Mam Coire Easain and we were able to see the impressive edge

Meall a’ Bhiuridh – it was incredible how the northern sides of the hills were so covered in snow and the southern faces had virtually nothing!

The Bridge of Orchy munros

Walking along the edge of the corrie we were pleasantly surprised how consolidated the snow was, making it remarkably good to walk on 8)

Looking west down Glen Etive

Bidean and Buachaille Etive Mor – the light was definitely going!

Ben Cruachan and Ben Starav in front

Glen Etive

Ben Nevis and the Mamores with the Grey Corries

Blackwater Reservoir and the Ben Alder hills

Meall a’ Bhiuridh with it’s amazing banana-shaped ridge with the Orchy munros behind

Summit of Creise

Loch Rannoch with Schiehallion just visible on the right

It was cold so we again didn’t hang around – originally we had thought to go back over Clach Leathad but it was getting late and I wasn’t up for any more ascent we so dropped back down the ridge we had come up

Buachaille Etive Mor with the Aonach Eagach behind

A last glance down the glen

Back at the col we decided to drop down to Glen Ghuibhasan – this is actually the WH route but I’d have to say I wouldn’t recommend it – very steep and difficult underfoot :shock:

Looking back up

There were plenty of runs of slabs to cross, fortunately Malky managed to find a line through them, but then we came across a huge load of slabs and decided to cross the burn to get away from them :lol:

Finally we were back on the path – there was still plenty of ice near the top but as we dropped lower it became damper and less slippery!

Looking up to Bidean

With less sun around we could now see the detail in the glen and the lovely autumn colours

We were back across the burn and onto the even better path – and the bonus being that most of the ice from the morning had melted so it made walking a lot easier :lol:

Looking back up the glen

The fading light meant we had to be careful :lol:

Back at the track the light was definitely going….

Back at the car I threw the car keys at Malky and enjoyed being driven home :lol: A fabulous day out 8)

Creise .gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland