walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scolty Hill

Scolty Hill

Postby KatTai » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:11 pm

Route description: Scolty Hill, near Banchory

Date walked: 05/02/2020

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 6.7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Zena has been in season and this is the first week where we haven't had to be careful of where we walk and she can be off-lead, so headed up Scolty Hill having seen the monument from Kerloch. Rather than taking a direct route up the hill, we followed the March Route (red markers) through the forest to reach the steep track up to the top of Scolty Hill where there were two view finders as well as a trig point and of course the monument. There are metal stairs inside to go up to the top, but as I had the dogs with me I didn't go up. From here, we extended our walk following the wide, well-made track downhill to reach another track with a signpost and heading to the right around the hill. There were signs of cattle around, and I spotted them across on the opposite slope so far enough away for me not to be too concerned but it was clear from the cow pats and hoof prints that they do use the track. The track looped round rejoining the March trail (can continue straight on back to the car park) which we again followed to return to the car park. It was a pleasant walk and though there were a few other cars in the car park we only came across a handful of people on the walk, enough to give Zena a bit of practice at not running over to people, sitting to let people pass and passing people at heel, which she did nicely. She also did an instant recall when a horse and rider appeared not far ahead of us (but going a different way) - phew!

3.JPG
Zena learning to pose

10.JPG
At the top of Scolty Hill

13.JPG
Summit fun

14.JPG
Not bad views
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland