walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane - Arrochar Alps

Ben Vane - Arrochar Alps

Postby jwramsay » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:39 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 11/10/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday 11th October 2009 and Ben Vane at Loch Lomond was the single munro of choice today. Doing it by myself.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up at the Inveruglas visitor centre and walked it down past the Sloy Power Station and under the railway. Followed the road (locked by a big gate, so no driving down it!) avoiding the numerous cow pats until the fork for Ben Vane. A majorly boggy section ensued but by the time you hit the distinctive path the route gets much better.

DSC_0111.JPG
The knobbly Ben Vane

DSC_0114.JPG
Rainbow near Sloy

It's pretty steep but no exposure - very enjoyable actually. You gain height quickly and there are many false summits. Then, near the top there is a bit of cracking scrambling (again no exposure here at all), and then you are on the large plateau summit. Looks good to combine this one with Ime and Narnain.

DSC_0148.JPG
Ben Vorlich and Loch Sloy

DSC_0174.JPG
Narnain, Ime and The Cobbler

I just stayed at the top for ages taking photos of the changing conditions. The autumnal colours over at Ben Lomond were superb.

DSC_0195.JPG
Plateau Summit with Ben Lomond

DSC_0204.JPG
Ben Lomond, Lock Artlet, Loch Catrine and Loch Lomond

Trace back the same path to descend.

DSC_0237.JPG
Sloy Dam with Ben Vorlich behind. Ben Lui in the distance I reckon.

DSC_0251.JPG
The path up Vane

DSC_0259.JPG
Ben Lomond

After hitting the boggy section at the bottom I spent a few minutes in the river getting my boots cleaned. The walk out back to the Inveruglas carpark took much longer than expected. I had a deadline to be home and got stopped for speeding through Dumbarton by an unmarked police motorbike. He let me off with a warning, nice man.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wqvD53f4RY[/youtube]
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Re: Ben Vane - Arrochar Alps

Postby skuk007 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:20 pm

Nice report, and great views from the top. :)
Ime and Narnain can be done with Vane in one day though it's a bit of a trek!
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland