walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

meall glas / Beinn nan Imirean

meall glas / Beinn nan Imirean

Postby rollo » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:46 pm

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Imirean

Date walked: 27/01/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 980m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rookie report .
Hubby and I for once off on same day mid week . Weather forecast good :) , Sgiath Chull done on previous trek so decided to do Meall Glas and Corbett Beinn nan Imirean .
Parked off A85 Auchessan, booted and coffeed , friendly wave from farmer and set off .Temp - 3 ,sun shining . Love these conditions .
P1010200.JPG
Bridge over River Dochart Meall Glas on horizon

Round to farmhouse ,followed track behind and on up east side of burn ,past sheep pens . Uphill to stile over fence . Path no longer discernible ,onto moorland heading in roughly northerly direction towards visible steepening slopes of Meall Glas Beag . Conditions underfoot frozen and firm ,making this relatively easy and pleasant . Good views behind to Ben More Cruach Ardrain and An Caisteal .
P1010206.JPG
Ben More Cruach Ardrain and An Caisteal
P1010213.JPG
SgiathChull from slopes of Meall Glas Beag

Once up steeper slopes of Meall Glas Beag crampons on for final slope to top of Meall Glas
P1010215.JPG
Final slope up to Meall Glas summit

As our usual luck would have it , cloud obscuring northern hill summits when we did arrived at summit cairn :( :( but did manage a quick view of Ben Nevis and surrounding hills . Thankfully no such problems with view to west or south . Ben Challum looks great from here
P1010216.JPG
Ben Challum

Descended south east back to relatively flat area above Meall Glas Beag, avoiding steep craggy slope south of Meall Glas then south west to col before ascent of Beinn nan Imirean
P1010217.JPG
Ben Lui
P1010218.JPG
Beinn Dubhchraig Ben Oss and Ben LUI

Return via Meall Garbh , frozen ground and snow in the moorland making "peat hag hopping" enjoyable back to stile and path to meet outward route .

I know these hills when approached from the south are set well behind wet, peaty moorland .But if you are not battling the elements or the conditions underfoot and with the sun on your back as we had most of the day , it can be a rewarding walk . Best of all was what always takes me back to the hills , especially on still winter days - the silence !!
:D :D
Attachments
P1010219.JPG
North east slopes Beinn nan Imirean
rollo
Munro compleatist

Re: meall glas / Beinn nan Imirean

Postby ChrisW » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:58 pm

Great report and cracking photo's, I think you hit it right on the head for most of us when you said "Best of all was what always takes me back to the hills , especially on still winter days - the silence " - I suspect that will resonate through the comments :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Merry-walker » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:06 am

Cool report there, I tend to go alone too, although a bit of company is nice now and then too :)

Ben Lui looks nice
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby baggervance » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Nice report with cracking piccies. Ben Lui looks fab ~ hoping to do it along with a'Chleibh a week on Sunday

cheers

BV
baggervance
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:59
Fionas:5   Donalds:7

Postby Graeme D » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Comments about hill silence are spot on. It's a special kind of silence you can get up there on the right day. I've done these two from the other side but planning on doing Sgiath Chuil from the south. I'll definitely be keeping it for a day when the bogs are solid and hopefully the sun is shining like it was for you.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby gammy leg walker » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Very fine rookie report rollo,keep them coming
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland