walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Exploring the Outer Hebrides - Summer 2019

Exploring the Outer Hebrides - Summer 2019


Postby dooterbang » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:32 pm

Route description: Clisham (An Cliseam) direct route

Corbetts included on this walk: Clisham

Date walked: 26/05/2019

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So I'd never been to the Outer Hebrides but I was now living on Skye which meant easy access from Uig :). I'd entered the Heb 30 (3) event which is run any 3 of the 5 Island Half Marathons. I ran Stornoway first, which Polly & Theresa flew up from Glasgow to run. We walked up Clisham the evening before the race - great training! Benbecula & Skye would follow.

I couldn't run Harris and was injured for Barra however I've entered the 5 races this year. So in the summer of 2019 I explored the many Islands of the Outer Hebrides in-between running half marathons. I was absolutely gobsmacked at how beiytiful and abundant the beaches were! Not only beautiful but extremely quiet 8)

I visited all the usual hot spots and wandered elsewhere when the notion took. I slept in my car and rented a couple of places. I think my favourite beach was down in Harris at Hushinish. You can't go anywhere without bumping into some Walkhighland folk! It was great to meet Jim & Andrea who were touring in their motorhome - was great to see yous both :)

So here are some photos of my explorations :)
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Thanks for looking :)
User avatar
dooterbang
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 1828
Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19
Joined: Oct 27, 2009
Location: Isle of Skye from Feb 2019 (Originally Glasgow)

Re: Exploring the Outer Hebrides - Summer 2019

Postby Sgurr » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:32 pm

I think I have photos of most of those places, but 75% are in the RAIN while we didn't climb hills but drove around checking out the scenery. The other 25% of mine are pictures of washing lines with the clothes horizontal and empty nice beaches because of the gales....but again, living so near you can pick your time. LOVELY pics BTW
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4788
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

Re: Exploring the Outer Hebrides - Summer 2019

Postby dooterbang » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:55 pm

Sgurr wrote:I think I have photos of most of those places, but 75% are in the RAIN while we didn't climb hills but drove around checking out the scenery. The other 25% of mine are pictures of washing lines with the clothes horizontal and empty nice beaches because of the gales....but again, living so near you can pick your time. LOVELY pics BTW


Yeah got lucky with the weather however first 2 days it was pretty grim up Northern Stornoway!. Felt bleak :shock:
Sounds like you must visit them again ;)
User avatar
dooterbang
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 1828
Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19
Joined: Oct 27, 2009
Location: Isle of Skye from Feb 2019 (Originally Glasgow)

Re: Exploring the Outer Hebrides - Summer 2019

Postby Spade » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:53 am

Really great photos and good for taking the mind to these place while in lockdown. Inspiring for a wee future visit when we are all safe to do so :D
Spade
 
Posts: 157
Munros:80   Corbetts:5
Joined: Sep 23, 2010
Location: Annecy

Re: Exploring the Outer Hebrides - Summer 2019

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:32 pm

dooterbang wrote:
Sgurr wrote:I think I have photos of most of those places, but 75% are in the RAIN while we didn't climb hills but drove around checking out the scenery. The other 25% of mine are pictures of washing lines with the clothes horizontal and empty nice beaches because of the gales....but again, living so near you can pick your time. LOVELY pics BTW


Yeah got lucky with the weather however first 2 days it was pretty grim up Northern Stornoway!. Felt bleak :shock:
Sounds like you must visit them again ;)



Have visited Lewis and Harris enough to do all 43 Marilyns. (i.e. lots) but it's still a place I'dreally like to go back to.
User avatar
Sgurr
Munro compleatist
 
Posts: 4788
Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:160   Islands:58
Joined: Nov 15, 2010
Location: Fife

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).




Walkhighlands community forum is advert free


Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?



Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bartape, Emilia, marklinnecor, martin1909, psck2007, rfvan46atgmailcom, scottmacdonald6 and 75 guests